Should babies sit before they walk?

My daughter is 5 months old. She can crawl and now she's pulling herself up and walking along the furniture. BUT she can't sit unsupported... Hell, for that matter even when she does sit supported she falls forward.

Now, my big reason for asking is because I have an inner ear issue and I'm wondering if her inability to sit could be a sign of balance issues and possibly ear issues.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:39 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow walking along and pulling up at 5 months just amazes me!~I would think that could very much make the difference, and even more so since you suffer from inner ear issues.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:43 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I would say something at her 6 month check up. I would assume she would need the same balance for sitting and walking.... So working on the balance while sitting would be safer than walking and tumbling.... Jmo. But it is worth mentioning to her doctor. And cruising at 5 months is crazy to me!!! :)
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:46 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I would say she should sit up before she walks, 'cause I would say they need to be able to support their whole upper body weight alone before they can do it with their legs. ( If that makes any sense )
    Momma2be11

Answer by Momma2be11 at 12:49 PM on May. 24, 2011

• That's different. :-)
    My kids sat alone. Then they crawled for quite a while. They were cautious about standing and walking--in fact my middle child waited until she was 15 months old to walk by herself. LOL. But she turned out to be the dancer in the family . I suppose kids are all different and I am not sure what order they should do things---or even if there IS any order or timing involved in their accomplishments.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:52 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Neither of my boys ever crawled. My oldest walked along the furniture at 6mos the second one at 8mos. But from what I remember they both sat up first. She's kinda rolly polly, and rolls right over unless someone holds her up when she's sitting... I would think she would need MORE balance for walking, but that's what she's doing. So I don't know what to think. She doesn't go back to the Peds til she's a year old, and I don't think this is something that's worth making an apt for, but if she's actually walking walking and still not sitting, then I'll probably call.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:58 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I had a little one that is doing exactly what yours is doing. It took her forever to sit up, I remember being at playgroups and everyone around me had little ones the same age and they were all sitting up. She started crawling, then walking all before she sat up. Backwards for sure but I wasn't really too worried, not that you seem that way. It is amazing how different kids can be.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:13 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Maybe shes never gonna be one to just sit around ma...shes just gonna "go go go" ! LOL
    I know with my 3, they all sat up before walking.
    Now on my 3rd...hes able to sit up, doesnt really roll over,doesnt crawl..but he pulls himself to standing! And I thought that was weird,lol.
    I guess all kids are different and some really do things outside the box more than others.
    Maybe yours just feels she can get more accomplished by walking than sitting, LOL :)
    I'm sure she's fine..give it some time. I bet its because when shes standing the has that support of holding onto something to keep her straight and she has strong let muscles, where when shes sitting up , she has to use more belly and back muscles which may not be so developed yet...wow..5 months and standing..that is amazing!!! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:50 PM on May. 24, 2011