How does your family observe Memorial Day?

My family had veterans of several wars in it. We always went to a cemetary for a VFW ceremony to honor our local vets. When my son was born, I participated in the same thing in my local area.

Since moving in with my husband's family, even though his Dad was a Korean POW, they don't do this. They fly the flag, but they do not like the local VFW. I said, fine, let's go to the "big town" several miles away and go to the parade. It's a no go. So, since DS has Friday off of school, we are going to the local Veterans' hospital with some homemade goodies, magazines, and other stuff for the patients to show our appreciation for them. 

My thinking is this. Memorial Day, like Veterans Day, is not just a day that the bank is closed. It is a holiday to observe the sacrifices that men and women in the US have made to preserve our freedom. It should be observed as such. Fine, barbecue afterwards. Just show some respect for your country and your vets!

Of course, we will be doing some fun things this weekend too, but am I all alone in sharing this tradition with my son?

dwmom2008

Asked by dwmom2008 at 12:41 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Holidays

• We go and visit my father's gravesite an clean his stone, then place flowers and an American flag.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 6:00 PM on May. 24, 2011

• We clean my loved ones graves like we do on any holiday and we dress up their graves nicely. We don't bbq or anything, we just reflect on the people who are gone and what they mean to us.
    Anonymous

• Not a holiday for us. Normally someone in the family hosts a cookout but this year we are all just doing our own thing.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:44 PM on May. 24, 2011

• On our version of that in November my family and I do observe the few minutes silence but nothing other than that. To be honest though we do remember them all year round, not on a specific day each year.
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 12:44 PM on May. 24, 2011

• A picnic.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:45 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Usually we would go camping! This year though the gas prices are insane so we are just staying home and BBQ.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 12:47 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Usually on Saturday of Memorial Day weekend we spend finishing up all outside yardwork and gardening, food shopping, clean the house...Sunday we have a small family bbq and on Monday we attend the local parade, then have a relaxing afternoon. This year we are marching in it with DD6's softball team. And we fly the flag, of course.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:48 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Usually it would be camping but I am broke this year so guess we'll be staying home.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 12:53 PM on May. 24, 2011

• DH is on the governing board of a small-town cemetery where lots of his family is buried. He owns a farm nearby where we spends lots of time. On Memorial Day weekend we often go and put out flags on the veterans' graves in the cemetery and do some maintenance. This year, however, my brother is getting married so we're focusing on him and his fiancee!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:59 PM on May. 24, 2011

• We'll be swimming on our pool if it's warm enough, and doing yardwork. It's not a Holiday in our home.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:43 PM on May. 24, 2011