5 year old at an overnight camp?

is an overnight camp too much for a 5 year old? (will be 6 in oct)

it'd be his first time going- and first time away from me

Shy_Dia

Asked by Shy_Dia at 12:54 PM on May. 24, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Seems a little young for that

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:56 PM on May. 24, 2011

• How many days or weeks is it? Has he stayed away from home before? Will he know anyone there?
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 1:01 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I think 5 is too young for overnight camp~maybe a week end at grandmas or a cousins house?
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 1:05 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Yes it's too young. Most kids want to go at that age but at bedtime want to go home.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:08 PM on May. 24, 2011

• i was thinking just a weekend one, from friday to sunday, i think. i really havent looked into it yet.... he wouldnt know anyone there
    and there's no way he can stay the night/week at someone else's house... the grandma that he does have- he's never met before (talked on the phone maybe 10 times...?)... if she moves back home/to this area, she'd probably be open for it.. but its undecided if she'll move here (her job might not transfer)
    Shy_Dia

Comment by Shy_Dia (original poster) at 1:11 PM on May. 24, 2011

• My kids all went to sleep away camp at 5yrs....the first night they were scared and they called home and i told them that if in the morning they were still scared that i would come get them....the counselors had fun ways of dealing with being scared at night time...by the next morning when they called the kids told me to stay home....they both did this their first year...the following yr they went together but slept seperate as they are a boy and a girl....but they love it....they are gone for 4wks and they come home for 1 wkend if feesible
    macksmom716

Answer by macksmom716 at 1:46 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Personally I think it's way too young.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 2:28 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I would not be comfortable with that, and at 5 myself I would not have done well with that, but it all depends on your child. To me, a 5 year old would be better off at day camp and then coming home at night if that could be arranged. But you know your child best and what he is ready for, although the fact that you are asking makes me think you are hesitant about the idea. If that is the case why not wait one more year and see how prepared he is next summer?
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:44 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I did that when I was his age but had a brother and a cousin with me, and we loved it. Does he have siblings or friends that will be there?
    damselphish

Answer by damselphish at 4:12 PM on May. 24, 2011

• i think the biggest thing is know your child. at 5 i prob would have skipped right out the door and went. my son at 5 no way .. besides i dont think i could have survived him going away.
    shanesmom24

Answer by shanesmom24 at 4:43 AM on May. 25, 2011