Name change

If you are a single parent, does your child have the same last name as you? if not, have you thought about changing it?

CoiaCuppcake

Asked by CoiaCuppcake at 12:56 PM on May. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• My DH and I are married.
    However, I kept my last name, and our daughter has his last name.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 1:10 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Uhm, it will matter to a girl if she doesn't get married, or chooses to keep her own name rather than stamp herself with her significant other's name like she was a piece of his property, since that is where that custom came from.
    CoiaCuppcake

Comment by CoiaCuppcake (original poster) at 1:11 PM on May. 24, 2011

• if not, have you thought about changing it?

You can't change your child's name without the father's permission.

chooses to keep her own name rather than stamp herself with her significant other's name like she was a piece of his property

I know I am not my husband's property, I chose to have my husband's and children's last name.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:48 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I recently got divorced and my lawyer suggested that I keep my married and sons last name for school events, etc. but then I added to the end my mother's maiden name for everything else. That is what my lawyer did anyway. It seems to be working out so far.
    kdwiegandt

Answer by kdwiegandt at 10:33 AM on May. 25, 2011

Yes I can, since he refuses to take a DNA test and assert his rights because he might get charged for child support.  In my state he has no rights and I am the only legal parent.

CoiaCuppcake

Comment by CoiaCuppcake (original poster) at 9:45 PM on May. 25, 2011

• chooses to keep her own name rather than stamp herself with her significant other's name like she was a piece of his property

No one said you were. That is however, where that custom came from. I was talking about personal choice rather than just assuming someone is going to follow a custom that some people deem sexist. Or whatever. I do apprieciate you showing that you did choose that and acknowledge that you are not property. Were you and your husband not married when you had the children then?

CoiaCuppcake