Any ideas for getting a 3yo to stay in his room at night?

We recently moved into a new home. My 3yo son says that he doesn't like his room. He doesn't want to sleep in his toddler bed - complains of monsters under it and has been sleeping on the floor. We put him to bed at night and when we check on him later, we find him either in our bed, on the floor of his brothers room or his own floor. Either way 2-3 times per night he is up and in our room. I've tried laying with him in his own room for awhile, but the minute he stirs and notices I'm gone...he's back trying to climb into our bed. Ugh! We're pretty tired and out of ideas...any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

romanojm

Asked by romanojm at 2:52 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in General Parenting

• I have learned that with this age group they are more responsive when its in there control. i would take him to pick a color to paint his big boy room and a bed set to match. he just might wanna be in a room he helped out putting together. you might even want to try new big boy pj's.
    scanamey77

Answer by scanamey77 at 2:59 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• baby gate in his door way - he can still open door but he cant crawl in to your bed - or go into the kitchen and hurt himself while u r sleeping.
    we did this with DD - and it worked out great .... now we have it in hallway so in am when she wakes up she can come get us so she can use the bathroom (she is potty trained)
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 3:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Maybe if you put his matress on the floor the "monsters"Couldn't get under it.And I'd keep his door open with a baby gate in his doorway.You wouldn't want him to go outside by himself when you are asleep.
    Also when my son was little we made monster spray.Just a spray bottle, with something that smells and a lot of water(like perfume).You spray it to keep the monsters away.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 3:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2008