I have a problem and i need ideas...

I live with MIL for now with the hubby and kids till i move out which will be soon, now that doesnt mean i wont move far, we will be VERY close nieghbors and the only thing seperating us would be a driveway.

The SIL also lives with mommy but she is destined to live with her for the rest of her life since she doesnt believe in wanting her own life. She had taken in this Black Lab that is VERY rambunctious and destructive. He rips screens from the screen door off, my dogs have to be seperated from him or he will possibly rip them apart, he jumps on my kids when he is way taller then them, my 4 year old cant get in and out of the gate while he's outside and i KNOW one of these days, he will break the wooden gate down to escape, then he'll be on my property destroying my stuff.

The worst part is, when she leaves him outside (he stays downstairs in the basement when he's not out), she leaves him out for hours at a time so if your outside, your stuck outside unless you want to get jumped on constantly when making a dash inside the house.

she already admitted that she will not let him go no matter how much of a problem he is.

ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• If it were me I would get a book on dog training and start training him not to jump, etc. If she doesn't like your training methods then she can keep him in the basement with her or supervise him outside. I am not saying you should have to train him two hours a day, but you could learn techniques to correct and reprimand him when he jumps or gets over excited or aggressive and he will learn quickly that you mean business and not to be disobedient with you. How he acts with everyone else is not really your problem. Other than doing that or getting her to get rid of the dog all you can do is call Animal Control if there is a legitimate aggression complaint but that probably won't get you very far. Or you could just leave that gate open and hope he goes away, but that's not very fair to the poor dog who didn't asked to be brought up with no discipline or training.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:40 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Doggy training school to teach him not to jump on your little ones.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 1:35 PM on May. 24, 2011

• oh i forgot to add that you cant talk to her about anything because her initial reaction is "so what?" and if he happens to escape, he eats the cat's food and she just shrugs her shoulders and is like "oh well." so its no use that way
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:37 PM on May. 24, 2011

• A really high fence around your place!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:38 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Dog training... or call animal control.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:38 PM on May. 24, 2011

• She doesnt have money to waste on stuff like that....she's got dues to pay off and she rather not spend her money on her dogs. One of them is so old that she can hardly walk and the dog has had problems in the past but she refuses to take her to the vet. We are talking about a very selfish owner here.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:39 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I agree, get a book on training and work with the dog. Labs are great dogs, with proper training, and they are usually good with other dogs and children! I feel the problem here is more the owner than the dog, he just needs some love and discipline! You don't even have to buy a book, you can google tips on how to train the dog.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2011