How did your child adjust to the new arrival?

JadeyStew

Asked by JadeyStew at 1:45 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i too have asked this question, i have a two year old girl and we are expecting a lil boy in falll. the advice i have been givin is to include the oldest as much as theyll let you, and always set aside time just for the kids so that they dont feel replaced or left out..
    bamamommy2009

Answer by bamamommy2009 at 1:58 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Dd was 4 1/2 when ds was born. We involved her in everything during the pregnancy to help her. She was jealous of him even though we have tried sooooo hard to make her still feel very loved, cared for, etc. Well, he is now 2 1/2, and the jealousy is worse than ever. I do not think it is ever going to get better. It continues to get worse!!! I assume you are expecting a second??? Hope it is easier for you!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 2:01 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Ya I am expecting my second! I have a 3 year old daughter. She seems excited because I am always talking to her about the baby. But it's hard to tell until the baby is actually here. I have 5 more months to go !
    JadeyStew

Comment by JadeyStew (original poster) at 2:04 PM on May. 24, 2011

• My son was 3.5 when his sister was born. I STILL remember the look on his face when he helped the doctor find the baby's heartbeat that first time. He just melted. Like the above poster said, involve your current child in as much as you can so s/he doesn't feel left out at all. I would hesitate to take them to the ultrasound though. Even though my son spent most of the time on the other side of the room he still had nightmares about it for a couple of days.

Also, have a gift from the baby to the older sibling in the hospital with you.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:05 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Fine, they all help out.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 8:11 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I want to know about that too. Since I have 19 months old daughter and I'm 34 weeks pregnant. I'm really wondering how she will adjust to my baby boy being here. But I've been told to keep her involved so she wouldn't be felt left out. And I'm planning to keep her involved and helping out.
    Bubbles_mommy

Answer by Bubbles_mommy at 5:28 PM on May. 25, 2011