Guns.

I am a supporter of people owning guns, even semi-automatic guns like a .9mm, but I am totally and completely opposed to regular civilians owning fully automatic weapons. Why does that cross the line and make the NRA not like me? Doesn't that seem semi logical to not want an fully automatic weapon in the hands of anybody?

Fiveofakind2

Asked by Fiveofakind2 at 2:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Sheri had it right about gun collectors. My DH's friend is a collector, has several guns (yes, automatic too) that he has for no other reason than to be able to brag about having them. The only thing these guns have ever been aimed at was the bank in my back yard.

I agree with you, five. There has to be a line somewhere. For me, there really does come a point where I couldn't give two hoots about people's rights. "Aww, poor baby. You can't waste your money on a dangerous M2? Quit your griping!"
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 8:43 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Well, this is America and we the people have the right to bear arms. It doesn't define what guns we can or cannot own...
    I think its okay if the person owning the gun has a clear background and gun safety training.
    NewArrival

Answer by NewArrival at 2:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• This would be the same as being pro-choice, but not supporting late term abortions. So what seems excessive to you might not seem that way to somebody else.
    Anonymous

• there are some people out there who shouldnt carry a gun of anytime so im with you. im all for people who want to have a gun but there comes a point when you have to draw a line.
    Anonymous

• ok anon its not like being pro choice and not supporting late term abortions. wow im pro choice but i do believe there should be a restriction set for a time line. i truly believe they should be done befor 12wks. but thats not what this post is about so anyways.
    I agree with you five yes we should have the right to have a gun but there should be a point where we need to becareful. just cuz they have a good background doesnt mean crap.
    Anonymous

• I stand in a funny little corner on gun contriol and I spend alot of time here by myself. i can understand your desire to not see an automatic weapon in the hands of Joe Schmoe but anyone who is going to own a gun illegally still owns a gun illegally. It does not matter what kind of gun, it is still in the hands of someone that is going to operate it illegally. I don't know that I would trust my neighbors or the guy up the street with one but I know that I would trust myself or my SO with one.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 3:06 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• the problem for me is that if you make something illegal then only have the criminals will be purchasing it, because the law abiding citizens wont purchase them illegally off the black market. for me this sums it up for me guns DONT kill people, people kill people...gun or no gun. We need to educate and regulate our gun owners. It is our right as U.S. citizens to own firearms, there isnt a claues that specifies what kind either.
    scanamey77

Answer by scanamey77 at 3:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I am in another funny little corner by myself. I fully believe that if I have the money to buy some certain type of gun and can afford the training to learn to use it, I should have it. This is because I do NOT trust my government any more than our forefathers did, and I believe I have the right to arm myself against them. If they can have a certain weapon, I should be allowed to have one to protect myself and my family from them. As long as all law-abiding, sane adults have the rights granted to them under the constitution and exersize them, tyranny will be held in check.
    There's a reason that the very first ammendment to the constitution guaranttes us freedon of speech and the very next one is the freedom to bear arms.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:16 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• seems very logical to not want automatic guns in citizens hands, guns in the wrong hands, like drug, pissed off untrained gunowners could be a terrible mess.
    LilDi

Answer by LilDi at 3:42 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• It's perfectly logical. However, people for stricter gun control could follow your logic and apply it to semi automatics, then to all guns, then to knives, and we'll all be forced to protect ourselves and our homes with toothpicks and snorkels.
    Aubles

Answer by Aubles at 4:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2008