I'm wondering if my baby girl will always nurse this way

or if it's just because she's still so young? She's 11 days old and since birth is a very "nice" eater. She barely sucks, but still seems to get what she needs, it just takes about 20-30mins for her to do it. Anyway, it seems like it's effecting my supply. I had much more milk when I nursed my son, who was a pretty aggressive eater. I ordered a pump online for when I go back to work and am thinking that will help up my supply somewhat. I'm considering just switching to bottles of breast milk during the day once I get it though. It's hard sitting there for so long nursing her when I have a 2 year old running around. I'm hoping she'd eat a little more efficiently out of a bottle. Have any of you experienced this?

ours

Asked by ours at 2:09 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As long as you're changing at LEAST six dipes per day you're golden. Full hard breasts are actually BAD... it means a diminished supply over time and that may be why your son was so aggressive... he was trying to make your body get to work! On the other hand, your daughter's nursing behavior indicates PERFECT supply regulation. You don't need the pump, as I told you in another post.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:17 PM on May. 24, 2011

• By the way...she will become more efficient as time goes on. Pumping... you have to stop and sit with the pump. It's FAR more confining. Do you have a sling? You need one. MANDATORY equipment when you have more than one, as important as the car seat. You can skip any other baby equipment if you have those two.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:19 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I do need the pump because I'm going back to work in a couple months. I want to make sure she doesn't have to have any formula while I'm gone. It still seems weird to me that she barely sucks.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 3:17 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Are you getting a good diaper count? If you're NOT, then there may be cause for concern.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:30 PM on May. 24, 2011

• My son started out taking 20 minutes per breast to eat. Now at 6 weeks, he's become a lot more efficient at eating, and he can get full after only about 10 minutes on one breast. I'm not sure if it was him or me that was taking so long in the beginning!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 6:45 PM on May. 24, 2011