Hitting help?

My 3year old son Haiden just hit a his friend for no reason while i was on the phone. he has never hit anyone before and i have always told him to never hit because hitting hurts people and is not nice and can lead into timeouts.
So when i saw him hit, i gave him a look since i was on the phone. I got off the phone like 2 seconds later, and had him come to me. I said Haiden why did u hit Dan. He wouldn't tell me, so i said would u like me to hit u for no reason like u did to Dan. He told me no it is not nice to hit. I said very good, but u just hit ur friend. So i took him in his room, and gave him a time out and turned off his show dowstairs so he and his friend couldn't watch it.
Then after all was done and haiden was ready to say he was sry, i asked both boys to come to me. I said Dan tell haiden that u don't like to be hit and it hurt u. he told him, Haiden was looking around not listening. I then said Haiden please listen to dan. So he did. I then said to both boys if we can't play nice together i think one of u is going up stairs and the other one can be down with me. they both didn't agree with it.
But may i ask why all of a sudden my son who knows better not to hit, started to hit anyway and for no reason at all. Could this mean something or do u think it was just a one time deal. How do u handle it and how do i get him to sto and realize he is doing wrong if his hitting continues, espically when school for him his about 4 months away.

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 2:25 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He was probably just frustrated and this is a hard age to express that ... I think the fact you jumped on it right away and made sure he wasn't getting away with it, it won't be a common occurance.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:32 PM on May. 24, 2011