About that whole "online presence" thing with the White House...

anyone else find it even more concerning in light of things like this?

Secret Service interrogates 13 year old without parental consent after he states the obvious on facebook

"A Facebook post earned a seventh grader an interrogation by the Secret Service.

The 13-year-old's mother, Timi Robertson, said agents questioned her son at his school last week, and said she is outraged it happened without her permission.

"My phone rings and I look at it. It was the number to his school and I answered it and it's the school security guard just giving me an FYI, you know, 'For your information, just to give you a heads up, the Secret Service is here with the Tacoma Police Department and they have Vito and they're talking to him,'" she said.

Turns out, after Osama bin Laden was killed, Vito LaPinta posted an update to his Facebook status that got the fed's attention.

"I was saying how Osama is dead and for Obama to be careful because there might be suicide bombers," Vito said."

Whole story is at the link.  Anyone else find this concerning?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:58 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Death of common sense. Maybe that's why the TSA goes to the prom to get their 'feel' on.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:00 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Yup.. Death of Common Sense. How can the secret service question a 13 year old without his parents present? Then my next question, why does the parent allow a 13 year old to have a facebook account?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:06 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Next question - did someone report him, is his page set to public, or are they now admitting how closely they monitor things that are supposedly "private"?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:09 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Yes, NP.... The shear fact that the Secret Service came to a school to talk to a 13 year old brings about MORE questions and concerns...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:10 PM on May. 24, 2011

• sheer*
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:11 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Don't threaten the president. It's taken seriously everytime.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:15 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Don't threaten the president.

Where did he threaten? He said the same thing every pundit on every news channel and political blog was saying - only in the language of a 13 year old.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:16 PM on May. 24, 2011

Taken seriously? By coming to the school and talking to the kid without the parent present? I would think if the SS was serious, they would enter the child's home with a warrant to seize his computer... Coming to the school to question a 13 year old seems more like a PR stunt to "make a statement" and less like a serious concern...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:17 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I guess taken seriously now means taken out of context.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:20 PM on May. 24, 2011

• My husband cautioned me long ago about my online voice and how it could easily be taken out of context. I think the thing with the kid was waaayyyyy overboard. When I read what was posted I didn't take it as a threat, but as a worry. As a parent I would be livid if my child were questioned without my knowledge or presence. Like grlygrlz, if they thought there was a serious threat they would have gone to the home. They just intended to scare people.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:22 PM on May. 24, 2011