Crying it out?

I just wanted to get moms opinions on the crying it out method. I rock my five month old to bed every night and he wakes up every night somethimes three times and I go into his room and rock him back to sleep everytime. He does not wake to eat he wakes up to get mommy to come in his room. Will letting him cry it out help his waking in the middle of the night? I just think the crying thing is mean? Your opinions would be a great help.

Julie0039

Asked by Julie0039 at 3:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its not mean if you know hes not waking up to eat and he just wants to be held then its not mean by any means i suggest breaking this habbit befor its to late. yes you should go to a crying baby to make sure he doesnt need a diaper change or to be fed but if hes simply waking for no good reason let him cry it out. dont let him scream for more then 10mins though go in and calm him down. he needs to be learning to put himself to sleep.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 3:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I personally would never let my daughter "cry it out". I just dont have it in me to know that she is crying and not do anything about it.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 3:15 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I am a believer in self soothing to a degree... if he wakes up and cries for more than 5 or 10 minutes I'd go in there and put the "mommy touch" on the situation. =) Good Luck!!
    NewArrival

Answer by NewArrival at 3:15 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I could never let my LO cio.
    I've heard that you shouldn't let a LO CIO if they're under 6 months old.
    I've never tried the method. I always figured, if he wants to be held, I'm going to hold him, because one day, he won't want to be held. And I too see it as mean.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 3:16 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I did/do the crying out method. It's hard but something that I think is necessary. It helps them to learn that you will not be picking them up EVERY time they cry. It enforces independence and sleeping through the night. Just my opinion though. My oldest started sleeping through the night when she was 2 1/2 weeks old when I did this combined with rice in her formula in the morning and night time bottles.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 3:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• when baby starts to cry wait about 2 minutes - if still crying go check on them to make sure they are laying properly etc, then leave the room even if baby is still crying- then dont let them cry longer than 15 minutes without peaking your head into the room again - baby should get used to you not picking them up when they cry at night and they should get to the point that they either stop crying or cry just for a second or so.
    my dd would wake up and cry for a min - realise that she just woke up in the middle of the night and then go back to sleep on her own - if we had rushed into her room every time and picked her up she would just learn to expect it...
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 3:18 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• This ONLY WORKS if he is dry, fed, and nothing else is wrong like if he were sick etc. Check on him when he wakes up and make sure he's dry. Then do what you need to and put him RIGHT back down to sleep. It takes a few times but it works.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 3:19 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• CIO is cruel & not at all necessary. just cause a baby isn't hungry or wet, doesn't mean all it's needs are met. babies do NEED the closeness of their parents. they don't need to be alone, or left to cry, or forced to sleep without comfort. it's not independence (i have no idea what an infant will do with independence anyway). it's being broken. there's point in breaking your baby unless your convinience comes first. just keep rocking him. you'll miss these days when they're gone.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• It's fine to rock him to sleep throughout the night as long as you are OK with not getting a full night's sleep. Also do you plan to have more children? If so, will you want to be rocking two children to sleep multiple times throughout the night? I felt that it was important for my girls to learn to soothe themselves to sleep and for all of us to get a full night's sleep. I began letting them cry it out around three months. I only did this when I knew that they were dry, fed, and well otherwise. I went in the room in increments until she fell asleep to assure her that I was there and she was OK but that it was bedtime. Both my girls are now great sleepers. I think there is a difference between sleep training your child in a loving manner and just letting a baby scream for hours without checking on it or giving it any loving reassurance that it is safe and that mom is close by.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 3:32 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I think its mean, especially so young. Especially if you rock him to sleep and then put him in his bed. Then, he wakes up in a different place then where he fell asleep. That's scary. I think you should comfort him as needed. But, what do I know, I haven't got a good night's sleep in over 3 years.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:45 PM on Dec. 8, 2008