Homeschooling

Do you know anyone who homeschools so they can monitor and control everything their kids do? This mom obviously cares about education and is a good mom but she can't let go AT ALL. She homeschools so she can manage everything. I find this disturbing.

Ex.My dd goes to a great school and she will say things about each kid having a turn to bring snack for the class, "Someone else is choosing what your child eats?? You poor thing I don't know how you handle that! I would not be ok with that!! do you goin and make sure its a healthy snack or send a back up snack incase it's not healthy??"

I know not everyone who homeschools is this way but do you know anyone who is? What do you think the effects are? I know she has had anxiety issues in the past and I think she is a perfectionist with fear of failure. She is kind, loving, and very organized but I can't help but feel like her kids need more flexibility and a break from her. Anyone experienced anyone else like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on May. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• I also have anxiety issues and I have considered homeschooling because i worry about my kids ( but we also have a VERY crappy school system here and the cops are out to the school a few times a week -- the elem, middle and high school are all in one building which I also hate... if we cant move before time for them to start I will look more into it)...

But yeah she does seem a little overboard ...but nothing you can really do about it lol, just be glad you dont have to worry about stuff like that
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 3:40 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I homeschool but I'm pretty laid back about things. I do know a couple of homeschooling families who give the rest of us a bad name,because they never go ANYWHERE, their kids are never around anyone, and they just stay in the house all the time. Just like anything else, there are always a few bad apples.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:50 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I agree! Im not trying to stereotype abotu homeschooling. I really do think the control thing is her main motivation. I guess it's just how she comes across and how she can't be real to anyone who lives in the real world. I like how much she cares about her boys but I think the over mananging everything is really disturbing.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:54 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Over-controling your kids will only backfire some day... But who knows she may be very strict in certain areas but very relaxed in others..
    Homeschoolers come in all shapes & sizes just like Public School parents.. Some public school parents push their kids so hard & micromanage their kids as much as possible & the only downtime the kid has IS in school..

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:59 PM on May. 24, 2011

• It's far more important to instill in children the ability to make choices for themselves than to ensure that every choice they make is the correct one.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 6:30 PM on May. 24, 2011