Do you know anyone who homeschools so they can monitor and control everything their kids do? This mom obviously cares about education and is a good mom but she can't let go AT ALL. She homeschools so she can manage everything. I find this disturbing.

Ex.My dd goes to a great school and she will say things about each kid having a turn to bring snack for the class, "Someone else is choosing what your child eats?? You poor thing I don't know how you handle that! I would not be ok with that!! do you goin and make sure its a healthy snack or send a back up snack incase it's not healthy??"

I know not everyone who homeschools is this way but do you know anyone who is? What do you think the effects are? I know she has had anxiety issues in the past and I think she is a perfectionist with fear of failure. She is kind, loving, and very organized but I can't help but feel like her kids need more flexibility and a break from her. Anyone experienced anyone else like this?

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on May. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• I also have anxiety issues and I have considered homeschooling because i worry about my kids ( but we also have a VERY crappy school system here and the cops are out to the school a few times a week -- the elem, middle and high school are all in one building which I also hate... if we cant move before time for them to start I will look more into it)...

But yeah she does seem a little overboard ...but nothing you can really do about it lol, just be glad you dont have to worry about stuff like that

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 3:40 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I homeschool but I'm pretty laid back about things. I do know a couple of homeschooling families who give the rest of us a bad name,because they never go ANYWHERE, their kids are never around anyone, and they just stay in the house all the time. Just like anything else, there are always a few bad apples.

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:50 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I agree! Im not trying to stereotype abotu homeschooling. I really do think the control thing is her main motivation. I guess it's just how she comes across and how she can't be real to anyone who lives in the real world. I like how much she cares about her boys but I think the over mananging everything is really disturbing.

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:54 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Over-controling your kids will only backfire some day... But who knows she may be very strict in certain areas but very relaxed in others..
    Homeschoolers come in all shapes & sizes just like Public School parents.. Some public school parents push their kids so hard & micromanage their kids as much as possible & the only downtime the kid has IS in school..

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:59 PM on May. 24, 2011

• It's far more important to instill in children the ability to make choices for themselves than to ensure that every choice they make is the correct one.

Answer by GoodyBrook at 6:30 PM on May. 24, 2011