Why can't I be "that" kind of christian...

I was raised to be a Christian, and I do believe in God... But on the other hand I am very open minded about it... I think others have their own Gods, I believe in the afterlife, I believe that you could be "reborn" in another life ( cant think of the word for that ) ... and I have questioned several times if God is even real ( but now I do believe that there is a God) ....

I don't go to church, I don't get anything out of it ( excpet a headache) , I feel silly when i hear about people talking about God, I have never felt the urge to cry when thinking of God or anything like that....

It is just basically I believe in him, I try to be a good person and when i die I will see him...

My dad is a preacher, and most of my family members have great lives becuase they are so wrapped up in Gods word... in fact everyone I know who are deeply in Christ are happy and have wonderful lives ( I believe their lives are wonderful because of how much they believe)....

But I just can't go the deeply....

Does that make sense??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• You are who you are. Find what is meaningful to you. Anyone's life can look wonderful from the outside, but we all struggle with something.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:36 PM on May. 24, 2011

• in fact everyone I know who are deeply in Christ are happy and have wonderful lives

Nobody is happy all the time, with or without any deity. Some people are very private and put up a good front, though. We have some very devout family. To outsiders looking in, they have nearly perfect, blessed lives. In reality, they have money problems, issues trying to conceive, work headaches, and even occasional marital spats. I know this because they are more open with immediate family than they are with their "church family". On the other hand, I have other family who have gone through depression, infidelity, addiction, abuse, and sickness, all without letting any of us have the slightest hint until years after the fact.

Don't assume that what you see is reality, or that their relationship with their faith is any deeper than your own.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:38 PM on May. 24, 2011

• It is your own choice how you want to live your life and have faith in God. Some are more religious than others. I notice the differences in my family too.

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 3:40 PM on May. 24, 2011

• While it may look like their faith runs deep, rarely does that truly represent reality.
    Don't measure yourself up to other people.
    Listen to your heart....it speaks the truth.
    You can still believe in your god and not be on bended knee every second, of every day.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:41 PM on May. 24, 2011

• well i meant it as... for example, I have known several people who before had crappy lives -- never having any money, family troubles, bad living situation.... and then after they become so involved with God, it is like everything improves... no more money troubles, families get closer, everything gets better... and I have seen this several times...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:44 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I have also seen several people who got wrapped up in God and things LOOKED good for a while... then fell apart... God will sort us all out in the end.

"It is just basically I believe in him, I try to be a good person and when i die I will see him... " That's all He needs from you. And remember that we build our treasure in Heaven, not here on earth. I submit to you that some of these people you are talking about will be the rich men having trouble getting into the Kingdom of Heaven when the time comes.

Looks deceive. Remember what Christ asked for. He did NOT ask for people to get all weepy over him.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:55 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Rebirth in another life is reincarnation.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 3:56 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I don't think it's necessarily what they believe that makes their lives so fulfilling, it's that they have found what works for THEM. It sounds like their path (or version of Christianity) isn't a good fit for you, but that doesn't mean that you won't find your path and find that same fulfillment.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:02 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I completely understand what you said. I feel pretty much the same way. I believe but...
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:09 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I guess i am the same way. I believe in God. I will be getting baptized soon :-)... But I question alot.. and am not as "Christian" as other as I know. I respect others faith/religion & find them all interesting. I also feel NO ONE really knows which faith is right. We are all trying to do what we feel is right..
    I enjoy going to church when we can.. But its very hard because I hear MONEY alot. and tithing and offering.. and I get so tired of the anti-gay preaching.. so sometimes going to church can actually hurt my faith! :-/
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:47 PM on May. 24, 2011