OK so you know that my dad doens't want to come to my wedding because he doesn't want to leave his dogs outside...however

he promised to pay for my kid to go to camp. When he was in Hawaii he told me when he would get home he would send me the money. When he got back, I reminded him and he said near the end of the month he would. When I reminded him it was near the end of the month he told me change of plans...his dog had to have an MRI, a spinal tap and some other crap that just cost him $4,000 and that he won't be sending me a dime. WTH? So I just had to tell my daughter that she can't go to camp. How would you feel and what would you do? (I've already decided that he's not going to my wedding, even if he decides he can leave the mutts outside!!!)

emmyandlisa

Asked by emmyandlisa at 3:35 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• Sorry to cuss but your dad just made me made. Can he not take his dam dog to a sitter. My dad promised not to show up at my wedding drunk. He was a part of the wedding and he was drunk. My heart goes to you.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 3:44 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I would feel awkward taking that kind of money from my parents. Can you find a way to earn the money yourself? He obviously needs it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:37 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Is there anything you are not telling us? Any kind of disagreement between you guys? Is he mad for any reason, justified or not?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:38 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I figure if I want to send my dd to camp I need to rely on myself to do it. Not saying your dad was right. I just have learned not to rely on others. If they come through then awesome. My father has promised so many things that I don't even tell my dd. I just let it be a surprise. Supposedly he is coming out in two weeks to see her....but we have been 3 hours down the road for two years now and he has not once made the trip.

It sounds like he views the dogs more as family than the humans in his life. One day he will be lonely and wondering why. Remind him then.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 3:40 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Not going to the wedding is ridiculous! I'm sure he can find a pet sitter while he is gone. But the money i can understand. Sometimes things come up. I think we can all relate to an unexpected bill, especially a vet bill. Our dog cost us a ton of money when he was diagnosed with Valley Fever 2 years ago. He is still on meds twice a day. That is part of being a pet owner. you can't just give up on them because they're sick. Although you dd is disappointed she should understand that sometime we can't always afford to get what we want in life.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 3:43 PM on May. 24, 2011

• How much is camp? I would be a upset too that my dad put his dogs before his family!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:36 PM on May. 24, 2011

• i would be upset too... but it sounds like he has always been like this ( ??) .. so probably no surprise?
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 3:37 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I'd cut him out of my life, it sounds like he thinks he's being inconvenienced or something. Leave him to his dogs as family as he's unreliable as an actual father and grandfather.
    Anonymous

• Horse camp is $550.
    emmyandlisa

Comment by emmyandlisa (original poster) at 3:38 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I don't feel awkward taking that kind of money. He not only is filthy rich, he got a WICKED inheritance when my Grandparents died. $550 is a drop in the bucket for him. And his granddaughter is worth it. I, however, struggle every month, did NOT ask for the money, HE offered.
    emmyandlisa

Comment by emmyandlisa (original poster) at 3:39 PM on May. 24, 2011