Is this normal?

I have a 13 yo dd who is having troubles keeping the SAME friends.  She does have 2 that are the same ones for the past 3 yrs. One day she has certain friends (2 or 3) then the week later she is saying that girl is weird and is no longer her friend. Is this what girls go through at this age? Some of the girls are snooty and it seems she just doesn't get invited to as many things at other's houses, etc. I just don't know what to do to help her as she says nothing is wrong. Is this common at this age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Lord, yes! Pre-teen and teen girls are full of drama, ups and downs, and often will make you wonder if they are from another planet!
    Anonymous

• Do you think she might be too influenced by others? Maybe she gets too caught up in going with what others think of their peers. Either that or she's the opposite and speaks her mind and teenage girls who form groups don't like that. I think it's just the process of finding out who you are while having to deal with peer pressure on top of it. She'll find out who her real friends are in due time, if she herself remains a true friend as well.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 3:46 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Yes, it is common and so sad! Encourage your daughter to be friendly to everyone and not treat "friends" like they have treated her. She will be the girl who everyone remembers as being the nice one.
    Wyomingmama

Answer by Wyomingmama at 3:58 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I'm not sure. My daughter has a tight knit group of friends and it's never changed.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 5:56 PM on May. 24, 2011

• As children grow and their interests change, friends change.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:06 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Yep, they are all about drama, drama, drama at that age...
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 10:49 PM on May. 24, 2011

• My 13 year old daughter is kind of the same way. She has friends, but some she has drifted from. She has tons of friends at school, but they don't always get together outside of school. Maybe casually bring up to her in conversation " how is so and so doing? I haven't seen her in a while." and see what she says. I know my daughter is influenced by her best friend alot. If her friend says I don't like her she's wierd my daughter will distance herself from that kid. I have told my daughter to make her own decisions about who she wants to be friends with.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 7:52 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Not uncommon, but you should expect her friendship circle to start to solidify pretty soon.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 9:24 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Yes, this is probably normal. Young teen girls are very dramatic and mood-motivated. If they feel like being friends they will....another day they may feel differently. She is likely just trying to see where she fits in...
    princessjen1

Answer by princessjen1 at 1:59 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Its all about drama at that age,. so I think its ok. As long as she isn't being hurt
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:26 AM on May. 26, 2011