Can dogs really sense things?

I have a three year old Golden. He is scared to death of storms. I have to give him something from the pet store to calm him down during storms or he will drive me crazy. It is beautiful outside right now, but is supposed to get bad later tonight. I had him outside playing while it was nice. He started jumping up on my windows and my screen door. Anyone else's dog scared of storms like this?

RelaxedMom2-3

Asked by RelaxedMom2-3 at 3:51 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Pets

• Yes, most dogs do, some don't, mine even gets scared when fireworks start, and he is a Yorkie, by the way what do you give your dog?

Answer by older at 3:53 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I can't think of the name of it, we are out. It is something my dh got and going to have to get more on his way home. Lol
    RelaxedMom2-3

Comment by RelaxedMom2-3 (original poster) at 3:55 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Oh I'm so sorry, My parents dog was like this during storms and fireworks season.. they had to get him meds from the vet to almost sedate him because he would become so upset, pacing crying, panting, locking himself in rooms then scratching at the wood doors, completely uncalmable.. He was a golden too - !!! a big huge golden at that -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:57 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Not ours, but friends have a huge lab that sits by washer and dryer and shakes. An old co-worker has a weiner dog that sits on their bed and barks at thunder... Since our pups were younger ( both are still under 1) , we took them out during thunder etc. They are fine with it. So far so good.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 3:57 PM on May. 24, 2011

• @max, He has just turned three and has just started doing this. Do you know if it gets any worse as they get older?
    RelaxedMom2-3

Comment by RelaxedMom2-3 (original poster) at 4:02 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Our dog isn't afraid of thunder but he is afraid of everything else...vaccuums, lawnmowers, balloons, the dark..you name it and he freaks out. Oh and he is about 85 lbs.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 4:05 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I have a Poo-chon like that! He will literally climb up you while the storm is going on... Once the thunder and lightning stop, he calms down after about 10 minutes... It's pitiful. I feel horrible for him, but I didn't know anything could calm him. Please post when you find out what it is!
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 4:05 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I think all animals can sense changes. especially when in comes to the atmosphere. you just have to reassure them that it's okay. our cats go crazy in the house when the weather is bad outside....
    nybor48

Answer by nybor48 at 4:18 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I think it's just instincts when they are sensing these things, and yes, I think it's an additional sense to sight, smell, taste, etc. My vet used to tell us to give our dog Benadryl when she got upset at storms or whatever. I have a dog now that is so scared of EVERYTHING- if my DH even stands up from the couch suddenly, she will flip out! She is a rescue, with scars all over her little body, so I completely understand. We do our best to reassure her, but it doesn't always work.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 4:36 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Our golden is afraid of thunderstorms too. He also can sense when they are coming. Is afraid of fireworks too~~so much so that the 4th of July is my least favorite holiday! Just like Older I was wondering what you give your dog to calm him down
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 4:59 PM on May. 24, 2011