Is this how it is in the world?

Do you find that the rich kids hang together and the middle class kids hang together and the poor kids hang together? My daughter says that the rich girls are snotty and won't have anything to do with her (we are middle class). This is how it is with other more poor girls too. I think it's a shame to look down on girls with families with less money.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on May. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think it's more to do with the age as of right now. Im guessing she's in high school? There are always going to be people in higher classes who are snobs, but there are also the kind hearted ones who will eventually grow up and see that a person's social status doesn't define who they are inside. This makes me think of Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion where the one girl breaks free of the snotty click she used to be a part of.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 3:54 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Basically... There are exceptions to the rule, but this was what my school (and it seems my dd's school) is like...
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 3:55 PM on May. 24, 2011

• No. I was born and raised in one of the wealthiest counties in the nation. It goes further than just what you say. Yes there is a tendency for those with money to hang around one another because their families know each other. Same with middle class or the poor. However there are ways to have people be friends who come from different backgrounds and I have never seen anyone turned away because of their class, well when I was in school anyway.

Answer by gemgem at 3:56 PM on May. 24, 2011

• probably because they grew up doing the same things, have more in common etc. I think as people venture out they will click with different crowds, rich, middle, poor, athletes, artsy, etc
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:58 PM on May. 24, 2011

• That is the majority, but not always. I was poor growing up. I had a rich best friend, you wouldn't have know it by her personality though. Her parents were the same way. I guess it just depends on how they are raised. I knew some kids who didn't have any need to be snobby, but wouldn't give others the time of day. It just depends on the person.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 3:59 PM on May. 24, 2011

• That's not how it was with me and my friends. My family was upper class based on my parents income but they both grew up in a dirt poor village in Ireland and raised us not to take money or anything else for granted. We earned anything we got like game systems, games, CDs, instruments, expensive clothes and/or shoes as well as our licenses and cars. We lived in a lower middle class neighborhood and my siblings and I had friends from lower class to upper class.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 4:06 PM on May. 24, 2011

• It depends on the school. but is the norm... The 1st school i went to gangs was the big thing.. if you where not in a gang, then everyone else kinda hung-out.. I guess there was the really smart/rich kids that kept to themself.
    But we moved & then yes.. it was horrible! Rich kids stayed to themself. then middle class. then the poor.
    My parents where "rich" I just didnt dress like it, so i was never accepted into the preppy gang.. and there were kids that just dressed very niced & their parents did everything they could to get name brands on their kids but they where broke..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:36 PM on May. 24, 2011

• In my area, it is not that the richer folks look down on the poorer folks. It's more like it's just sort of separated because those richer ones grew up together, live in the same areas, etc, and the poorer folks did the same. I have plenty of friends that are more well off than we are, and they don't say a thing about it- many don't even notice. I went to a private school in the area though, and many of these people went to that school, so that may be why. But they really are nice people and I haven't EVER seen one of them look down on someone just because they didn't have or make as much money as them.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 4:42 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Lord I hope not. I attended public school in a very affluent area. I don't remember it being all that caste-like at all.
    Maybe it's more an issue of proximity--the rich kids live near other rich kids, so they play together, etc.
    MamaMia9999

Answer by MamaMia9999 at 11:18 PM on May. 25, 2011