Adult dogs that have started fighting

I have two Dogs that are littermates. they are now approx 5 y/o, when they eat one of them becomes more aggressive and they start to fight. This has just been within the last year. Right around the time we had to have our little dog put to sleep. I think maybe the little one must have been the Alpha male of the 3, and now the brothers are trying to decide who is next in line. Sometimes their fights are more that just yelling at each other, they actually start to bite eachother. I just need this to stop before one of them get hurt.

Any suggestions? they are both fed outside, and it's only over their dog food, if they get a treat (like leftovers) they are fine. very confusing.

nybor48

Asked by nybor48 at 3:57 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Pets

• Are they fixed? If not do that and you should see some change.

Answer by gemgem at 3:59 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I would seperate the bowls from one side of the house to the other so they can't see each other -
    I did see a Ceasar Milan show about this before but can't remember what the advice was
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:01 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Both of them are neutered, and have been since...well you know when they were very young
    nybor48

Comment by nybor48 (original poster) at 4:02 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Sounds like a food fight - separate them when they are fed.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:21 PM on May. 24, 2011

• This is why I feed my dogs in their kennels. Food aggression is not a problem because they are undisturbed while eating. I would start doing that, feeding one then the other, or one inside, one outside. Any way you can separate them while feeding is worth a try.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 7:58 PM on May. 24, 2011