Married folks: Did you ever imagine you would get married?

I so can not imagaine getting married. As a kid I kinda never expected anyone to ever really like me cause I wasn't what the black girls in school looked like. I wasn't super thin, I didn't have a lot of money (well mom didn't), I didn't get my hair done every week, and didn't wear the current black fashion trends.....So I felt I wasn't a urban traditional beauty. From all that I formed the idea that me getting married is like oil and water going together. I wouldn't mind being married one day....did any of you ever go through feelings like this or did you already know you were destined for the alter? If you did have these feelings how did you overcome them?

****P.S. ok I do want to say I am not some low self esteem girl. I am good....I did not want to go to my prom cause there were not cute guys at my school so why bother wth getting a dress and not cute guy is taking me??? I didn;t care bout that to much anyway...I wanted to gradute more than attended some dance.****** I like all your responses

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 4:04 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• Are we some kin? lol I thought the same way. Never had friends, was always at home because we couldn't afford to go anywhere. I wore hand-me downs and no one would ask me to the dance or prom. I basically didn't exist. I ended up marrying the football star in my class. Funny uh? Now I am super nervous because we have our 10 year class reunion next week. I still feel like that little girl. One Day you will meet someone that will sweep you off your feet!
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 4:13 PM on May. 24, 2011

• i always knew i would get married someday but i didnt meet mr right until 4yrs ago. but now i couldnt see me with anyone but him. marriage is hard -very hard, but id rather it be hard with him then easy by myself!
    dawna35

Answer by dawna35 at 4:17 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I never could picture myself married. Then I met my husband and after being with him for 4 years, I couldn't picture myself anywhere else. You don't have to be a traditional beauty to get married, you just have to find the one who makes you feel beautiful.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:19 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I seriously never thought anyone would want to marry me, even if I could imagine being married, which I couldn't thanks to my parents making me think marriage was all about arguing and quiet despair. But someone did want to marry me and thankfully I was sharp enough to say yes to a dude with whom I never argue.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 4:20 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Didn't think I would and it took a little while, but I eventually did.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 4:21 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I never wanted to get married or have kids. Once I started dating my DH all that flew out the window. Our first night I thought I could be with him forever, and our first kiss made my ovaries ache with the need for babies. It scared the shit out of me.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 4:21 PM on May. 24, 2011

• hahahaha your ovaries ached?! Love that.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 4:45 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I've been married almost 4 years and I still have a hard time believing that my husband wants me as his wife
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 4:48 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I never imagined myself married because I didn't want to be married or have kids. I was too wrapped up into myself to want to share myself with anyone else...but then life happend and I realized that I needed to be married and especially to the man I married to now...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 5:15 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I didn't think about getting married. I met my husband and it just clicked. He moved in with me and we planned to get married the next year or so. It was working out so well that one day about two months after he moved in, we decided to get married before the seasons changed. We got married 2 weeks later. I never thought about having a wedding (although I let my family talk me into having a small wedding) or the actual getting married part, just the being married part.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:56 PM on May. 24, 2011