Life without gadgets?

I don’t have an iPad, and I have no intention of getting one.

I don’t have an iPhone, either. Or any kind of smartphone. In fact, I don’t send or receive text messages, don’t download apps, and — dare I say it? — I have absolutely no idea how to play Angry Birds.

What these things have in common is that they have all failed a very simple test: Will this make my life better?

That isn’t to say these gadgets and doodads serve no purpose. Clearly they do something, or no one would buy them.

What I have to show for all of my nay-saying, aside from saved time and lower electricity bills, is thousands of dollars saved every year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/my-life-without-gadgets/2011/05/20/AFJi827G_story.html

tasches

Asked by tasches at 4:28 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Technology

• I make my living with gadgets and if we pull this movie off we will be able to see it for hundreds of thousands of dollars.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:31 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I am a gadget lover, but I don't have a tablet. I do have a smartphone and I do have an ipod touch. Both get used extensively. I need to be able to access email anywhere I am and I love the video capabilities on the Ipod. My dh though is very low tech although he's starting to get more interested. Myself and my kids are all very high-tech but no doubt we feel it in the pocketbook if something breaks!
    techgirl3

Answer by techgirl3 at 6:02 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I have a few gadgets. Are these items necessary? Absolutely not. I'm old enough to remember a time when TV only had 3 or 4 channels, everyone had rotary phones, there were no microwaves, cars had roll down windows, etc. Did we get along without today's modern conveniences? Absolutely. Do I enjoy my current gadgets? Absolutely, but I do agree that we are too caught up in having the "latest and greatest" and that the technology changes/updates every 6 months and it is foolish and impossible and financially irresponsible to try to keep up with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:05 AM on May. 25, 2011