Do you think the longer the Republicans wait for an "exciting" candidate, the worse off they will be?

Daniels now joins the long list of candidates who have decided not to run, making this GOP contest feel like the Democrats' in 1992. The number of candidates who decided not to run against then popular George H.W. Bush was so big Saturday Night Live ran a parody of a debate in which the candidates who didn't want to run—Bill Bradley, Richard Gephardt, Lloyd Bentsen—boasted more extravagantly than the next why they were utterly unfit to hold office. Phil Hartman, playing Mario Cuomo, declared, "I have mob ties."

http://www.slate.com/id/2295325?wpisrc=xs_wp_0001

tasches

Asked by tasches at 4:38 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• If by "exciting," we already had that with Obama. I have a feeling the country is going to swing the other way and vote for the "boring guy with a proven track record of fiscal conservancy and actual experience!!"

I think there is a really good Republican candidate right now with his hat in the ring. I'm going to wait and see how it pans out before I disclose who I think has the best chance to win against Obama, as well as the ideal ticket! Hint: It is NOT Palin or Bachmann! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:54 PM on May. 24, 2011

• hmm, rather than someone with drama or pizzazz.. lets pick a candidate that isn't a thief, and how plans to bring jobs back, fix the obama care crap, and is honest, and can't be bought or strung alone like a puppet.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:59 PM on May. 24, 2011

• It probably doesn't matter who they pick to run... Its not very likely that Obama won't get re-elected
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 4:40 PM on May. 24, 2011

• No...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 4:50 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Better find a centrist or the GOP is toast-

A similar statement could be used for Obama.... When he  PROGRESSED with his partisan liberal agenda, he lost points... Independents aren't 100% sold on him anymore.... If his trend continues? Who knows what kind of statement independents will make..

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:29 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Were Independents ever 100% sold on him? Aren't you and many of the other conservies on this forum actually Independents? Any of you ever sold on him?

Independents are who got him elected.... Not the liberal base. There are quite a few conservie independents. And there are quite a few lib leaning independents, too... Research the dynamics of American Independents and the movement of right to left, back to right, etc.... I think you might find the shift in the last 18 months interesting...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:45 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I'm pretty sure Obama will win reelection, just based off of historical precedents.

***

How far back into history are you going, and what's your definition of presidents serving one term?

If by attempt at re-election, Bush Sr., and Carter only served one term each. In addition to Adams, JQ Adams, Van Buren, Polk, Pierce, Buchanan, Hayes, Harrison, Taft, and Hoover.

Roosevelt, Coolidge, Truman and LBJ each became president due to death of the president and then served single elected terms.

Lincoln and McKinley while elected to second terms, died in office, and didn't complete them.

Harrison, Taylor, Garfield, Harding, and JFK - died during their first terms.

Tyler, Fillmore, Johnson, Arthur, and Ford - as VPs, finished the terms of the presidents that died or resigned in office, but didn't seek election of their own term.

So that's 29 out of 44 presidents who were "one term wonders
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:20 PM on May. 24, 2011

• And being President of the US isn't about being "exciting".... Obama excited a lot of people with his speeches and lies... Look where that has gotten the US.. A Waiver-a-palooza of a Health Care Bill, A failed stimulus, Deeper in debt and losing financial standing in the world....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:20 PM on May. 24, 2011

• No. If you want to discuss when candidates entered the race and compare IF they won, most recently I would say research when Clinton officially entered the race for Presidency.. October of 91... Elected 13 months later. There is a LOT of time.... So "waiting" isn't what is going on.... I don't think anyone should be so naive and ignorant to determine 2012 based on today May 2011 and how long a "party" waits to enter an "exciting" nominee... JMO...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:18 PM on May. 24, 2011

• My point, if it's the lesser of 2 evils, BO will win again- If the GOP nominates some far right winger, BO will win-

I think those are pretty bold statements to make in May, 2011... ;o)   My point is, he made a lot of expensive promises and he has failed an making solid changes for the betterment of America (which he promised)...  He made himself look inexperienced and foolish by his own campaign words.The US economy never quite bounced back like he campaigned it would to get the stimulus passed...  I don't recall the topic of waivers being discussed in regards to ObamaCare, either...  He's an inexperienced f'k up to has to hire a progressive media aid because even HE is fearful that his actions will speak louder than the words he reads from his teleprompter...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:49 PM on May. 24, 2011