Preschool cut-off age and what to do

My daughter will be 4 on October 22nd, but pre-k cut-off is September 1st. What can I do to make sure she is not behind. I am very upset that she will have to be close to 6 before she can start kindergarten. Anyone wlse have this problem? What did you do? Is there a test my child can take that can get her in even if she is younger?

mommacierra

Asked by mommacierra at 5:01 PM on May. 24, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• teach her yourself
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 5:03 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Don't push her in it early. Just think of her being one of the oldest as an advantage. I want to keep my little ones home as long as I can. There will be little ones where their birthday is Sep and Oct that is just they way that they break it up. They can't put all the little ones that fall in the beginning of the cycle in the year before, it is how they break the class sizes down.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:04 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Enroll her in an educational preschool, make sure she loves it, and she will be super ready for kindergarten!
    Wyomingmama

Answer by Wyomingmama at 5:10 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Work with her yourself.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 5:11 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Wait a year to start preschool. Being the oldest in the class is usually an advantage, whereas being the youngest is usually a disadvantage.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:12 PM on May. 24, 2011

• My son was born Nov 8th and we are waiting also. I agree with Tweenandtwinmom..It will be an advantage for your child to be older. Mentally and socially along with academically.!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:14 PM on May. 24, 2011

• You just wait until the next year and enroll her. Pretty standard. My older son's birthday is Oct. 1. He never went to preschool (in any form) and the cut off for kindergarten the year he turned 5 was Sept. 30 (the day before his birthday). So he waited another year. He is one of the oldest kids in his class (he's finishing up 3rd grade right now). Nothing wrong with that. It's just how his birthday fell. Same with my middle daughter who has a November birthday (she's in 2nd grade).
    That's how it was when I was a kid, too. There was no such thing as early entry at the schools I went to. You had to be 5 by the beginning of August to get into kindergarten. Anyone that turned 5 after that day had to wait until the next year to start.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:30 PM on May. 24, 2011

• YOu could work with her and enroll her in private preschool. (; That is what we did.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:53 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Teach her yourself.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:07 AM on Jun. 10, 2011