Do you think having a home library is a good idea?

One of the least predictable suggestions you make is for everyone to start a home library.
We live in the kind of society where we don’t have teachers. Not teachers in the school sense [but teachers of tasks that could help us become self-sufficient]. Do you know how to split wood? Can you put food in a jar and make it safe to eat? Do you know how to sew clothes? Can you butcher an animal? We need to make sure we have that kind of information somewhere.

Read more: http://failuremag.com/index.php/feature/article/surviving_the_apocalypse_in_the_suburbs/#ixzz1NJ4S34D6

tasches

Asked by tasches at 5:12 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Home & Garden

• We have a huge library of books. My husband or myself can do all of the things listed - I can sew and can food, my husband knows how to butcher several different animals and can split wood. We grew up in a fairly rural area, but I am definitely making sure my kids know how to do those things as well - canning food saves me tons of money!

Answer by missanc at 9:29 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Yes, I think a home library is a good idea, and information about how to be self-sufficient is important, too.

Answer by Bmat at 5:16 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I can do all of that I can even hunt down the animal if I have to. I am okay with a needle and know how to build a shelter we learned from our father.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:17 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Yes we have a home library and its a great idea.
    pinkdragon36

• I can do everything you ask. Momma taught us well. As did Dady, Paps, Mams, and other family. We have a library.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 5:19 PM on May. 24, 2011

• hey, that's a good point... we had to go without power for 5 days here in AL and a lot of my neighbors had to leave town because they had no idea how to cook over a fire or anything.
    I've taught myself how to garden and can/preserve, learning how to sew... I think I should learn how to field dress and butcher a deer
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 5:26 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I think a home library is a great idea.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 5:47 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Having a home library is a great thing.
    ceciliam

Answer by ceciliam at 6:56 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I think having a home library is great. No, I can't can my own food, but the rest either myself of my husband can do...
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 7:41 PM on May. 24, 2011

• We can do all that stuff you mentioned and then some. We also have a home library that we started around the same time we got married and that's more than 20 years ago.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:55 PM on May. 24, 2011