Do you like to whistle?

“No great or successful man ever whistles,” said New York University philosophy professor Charles Gray Shaw in 1931. “Whistling is an unmistakable sign of the moron. It’s only the inferior and maladjusted individual who ever seeks emotional relief in such a bird-like act as that of whistling,” he concluded. Shaw’s remarks were made at least partly in jest, but his bold statements created a media firestorm.

But it’s been at least a half-century since whistling was prominent in popular culture, and people who whistle in public today are likely to be greeted with looks of disapproval. Even construction workers seem to be eschewing the once-common practice of whistling at passers-by who meet with their approval. However, there are indications that interest in and acceptance of whistling may be on the rise. As Steve ‘The Whistler’ Herbst puts it: “Whistling is an idea whose time has returned.”

Read more: http://failuremag.com/index.php/feature/article/whistling_past_the_graveyard/#ixzz1NJ53dK3t

tasches

Asked by tasches at 5:15 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I don't know how :(
    My boyfriend, on the other hand whistles all the time. Whenever he feels like picking on me he'll start singing a song or whisteling a tune and say "Come on baby, whistle with me, you know the song..." or he'll say "honey, could you whistle for the dog please?". I just give him the evil eye and he giggles like a little girl. Bastard.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 5:43 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I don't know how to whistle either. I get a high pitched noise but everyone cringes and it takes me a bit to get that so I don't bother... lol
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 8:16 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I dont really know how lol my grandfather was a great whistler lol
    KColeman90

Answer by KColeman90 at 8:16 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Once in a while I'll whistle a tune, but it's very rare.
    not-the-momma

Answer by not-the-momma at 9:55 AM on May. 25, 2011

• You have no idea how happy I am to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't know how lol.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 12:00 PM on May. 25, 2011