Going out of town for 7 days on Friday, cat sitter bailed on me....what should i do?

My cat is indoor outdoor...but these days is pretty much outdoor only. Had a friend that was going to stay here the week, but she says she can't do it now. None of my friends are available to help & we cannot afford to pay someone to come by. Yes, we only have one cat...i know if we had two, they'd keep each other company.

I have 3 options that I've thought of

1) leave the cat inside by itself for the week...yes, he'll probably freak out & tear the place up. But he'd be safe inside.

2) leave him outside with a bunch of food & water in the screened in porch . He can get in & out of there OK. But, i worry something else might find it's food...

3) leave a window open so he can go in & out, but we'd have to turn the AC off & I'm a bit scared he'll drag dead animals in the house

One of our friends said he'd stop by to check on the cat but he can only do it once MAYBE twice during the week.

What would you do?

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 5:17 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Pets

• We replaced a small window with a medium doggy door and built a rampt up to the door on the inside and the outside.

I'd consider installing a cat/dog door then leaving the cat to her own devices. She'll be so excited on being able to come and go as she pleases that she won't even know that you're gone!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 5:53 PM on May. 24, 2011

• A cat doesn't need much looking after...do you have any neighbors that could pop in every other day just to fill up the food and water? I'd probably let him be outside with access to the porch.

I know you want the cat to be safe, but imagine what he could do in a house alone for 7 days. Our cat is also indoor/outdoor and I know that he would rather be outside with access to shelter than be stuck inside.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:25 PM on May. 24, 2011

• oops, sorry, just saw the part about not knowing the neighbors...if your friend can check in and fill food a few times during the week I think that is fine.
    gramsmom

• Any teens on your street that you trust to do it for you? You could probably get away with paying them the bare minimum.
    Anonymous

• I would leave the cat inside and leave extra food and water for a few days have your friend check on him and add enough extra food and water so that the cat has enough until he can get back and then again until you get home. We have done this in the past and it has worked well for us. I hope you enjoy your trip.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:21 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I would leave the cat inside.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 5:21 PM on May. 24, 2011

• a really good friend
    vanewilly

Answer by vanewilly at 5:21 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Nope...no teens. We're new to the neighborhood & have not made any friends that we "trust" yet...
    samurai_chica

Comment by samurai_chica (original poster) at 5:21 PM on May. 24, 2011

• leave it at a kennel
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 5:22 PM on May. 24, 2011

• i sent an email out to all my friends, all of them say they can't do it. They either live too far, or are too busy. Trust me...i have bothered everyone i know...
    samurai_chica

Comment by samurai_chica (original poster) at 5:22 PM on May. 24, 2011