Ear pain

I know this is going to sound dumb, but DS has never had ear pain or an ear infection before, so not sure what to do for him until we can get into the doctor's office (they're closed until tomorrow AM). He is a teen & just told me that his left ear is throbbing & he can't hear out of it all of a sudden. No other symptoms (fever, drainage, etc.), just the pain & pressure. Any suggestions on what to do to keep him comfortable until tomorrow morning? (I've already given him a pain reliever & some Benedryl).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:44 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Try a mug over the ear with a hot rag in it.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:37 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Try a warm washcloth over the ear?
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:31 PM on May. 24, 2011

• My ear was the same the last few days and no sign of fever,redness or even hurt to touch it but was clogged up. I asked at kroger and told me to do muclex or something that that for muncs relieve and did not have any of that. I took the medicine yesterday and ears are so much better and now just have a stuffy nose so I think I had a cold in my ear. Might try that and see if that helps some. If not an ice pack will work and medicine.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 6:42 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I read somewhere that warm olive oil will help soothe the pain.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:53 PM on May. 24, 2011

• try to see if there is earwax blocking it. when i was little my mom would mix a tiny bit of peroxide with rubbing alcohol and put a few drops in my ear. let it sit for a few min and then tip my ear over onto a washcloth. a few min later my ear felt fine. the drops they give for swimmers ear will be the same thing, it just dries up the water.
    Lana618

Answer by Lana618 at 5:48 PM on May. 24, 2011