If you hear someone dishing out verbal child abuse, is it your responsibility to speak up?

That's a tough one - before I would jump into any fray, but now I tend to just let things be as they are ~

How about you?

tasches

Asked by tasches at 6:35 PM on May. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• No you mind your business, if you see someone getting physical then its everyones responisibility to speak up
    styhmMommy

Answer by styhmMommy at 6:36 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Abuse? Yes, I'd confront them. The scars of emotional abuse by a parent are just as bad as the scars of physical abuse.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 6:38 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I have said something to some mothers. Usually it involves swearing at the child and I can turn it around on me and say I don't want to hear it.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 6:43 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I tried it once and only got verbal abuse twice as harsh as the kid. I feel that emotional abuse is just as detrimental, but just like with domestic cases, unfortunately, it takes physical before things get recognized :(
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 6:52 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I think that would be a very fine line. I wouldn't interfere.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:07 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Eh my friends kids are just rotten since their dad walked out, I mean they will do stuff and say stuff to their mother that just infuriates her like getting in her ear and telling her shes a "dumb c*nt" amongst alot of other things. Sometimes she snaps and says stuff she shouldnt but sometimes yall may not know the entire situation of why that parent snapped. Not saying its right, but people are human, shit gets under peoples skin sometimes no matter how thick skinned you may think they are.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 7:17 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I guess it depends what the person is saying. I think I would speak up if it was bad enough. Not that it would do any good but just to let that person know their behavior is unacceptable.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 8:09 PM on May. 24, 2011

• i would not interfere but i would def give them a look more like a stare. or even try to compliment the child...like oh your little boy or girl is so cute...ect. that would change the subject and sometimes some postive words help get the hint out to the parent that sometime we parents need a time out too.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:26 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I wldnt bcuz u may not knw what is going on. I try not to yell at my kids in public but if I don't do it then n there, then I don't get my point across later. I its physical then yes maybe. I will also pin h my kids in public when they don't listen. So use ur descretion.
    startingover777

Answer by startingover777 at 8:33 PM on May. 25, 2011