"Confronting Accommodationism"

I know 90% of you won't actually read it, but instead leave a comment based on what a PP says... But, for those of you actually interested in debate; "Confronting Accommodationism" Was a pretty interesting read.

How do you perceive the effect of vocal Atheists on the general populus? The "New Atheist" or "gnus" are quite vocal (I am one of them) and feel no need to accommodate, or moderate the emotional responses of the religious.

Any insights regarding the article?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 7:02 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Thats fine for you as long as your ok with others with different beliefs to yours not accommodating either.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 7:06 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I read it. I don't think the article offers that people can be balanced between over-apologetic and over-confrentational.

One can be bold in stating their beliefs without being combative.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 7:09 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Maybe it's just becasue in America we have a tendency to be more confrontational about things but there is a way to educate and inform others about atheism, science, etc in a more accomodating way (as in a live and let live way not a sit down and STFU way) as opposed to being more confrontational and down right bitchy about it. Personally though I think the author only highlighted the two extremes of confrontationalism (in your face bitchy) and accomodating (not saying anything and just SingTFU.). Where is the happy medium?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:11 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Rejecting the idea that one should not criticise religion because it is “disrespectful” and that religion therefore has a “go home free card” not available in other areas of human discourse such as politics, sport and science.

If you think for one second that people take it easier on religion than they do politics, sports or science than you just don't get out much-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 7:14 PM on May. 24, 2011

• That's fair seeing as how I feel no need to accommodate or moderate the emotional responses of the non-religious.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 7:14 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I read most of it, although I admit I started skimming a little towards the end.  How do you perceive the effect of vocal Atheists on the general populus?  I can't answer for the general population, because I've never discussed this with anyone, or seen first hand a reaction to a speech/widespread article/etc.  I can answer for myself, which is that it doesn't affect me at all.  I can read/hear it, disagree with it, and move on.  On a more personal level, I'm 100x more likely to react defensively.  If someone confronted me about my religion/faith in a combative or condesceding manner, I'd be very turned off and respond in kind

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 7:24 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Overall, I thought the writer of that piece made some good points. There is no need to refuse to allow yourself to speak on your beliefs for fear of hurting someones feelings - but there is also no need to completely forget about the fact that people have feelings, and that faith is a personal subject. It's the difference between being a civil conversationist and an outright bitch.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 7:25 PM on May. 24, 2011

• "Thats fine for you as long as your ok with others with different beliefs to yours not accommodating either."

LOL atheists have been dealing with that for, since, forever. Suddenly, religion is on the other end and they want atheists to STFU. Pot, meet kettle.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:36 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I have no problem with atheist talking about their beliefs but if they are "confronting religion" as the article states they are often no different then the extreme religious they're confronting in the first place. To me New Atheists/Gnus=radical overbearing religious they don't seem any different to me. I'm for accepting everyone's beliefs with kindness and consideration.  I don't want to live in Stalin's Russia, I like freedom of religion  and just basic human kindness.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:59 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I want to read it but I had a test tonight, so keep it open til I'm less braindead tomorrow.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:32 PM on May. 24, 2011