Does it matter if I put my husband on the title of my car?

I bought a car with my mom in 2000. I got married in 2006. The vehicle was paid off. Recently, my mom sent in a release of interest on the car. My husband has been bugging me to add him on the title of the car. I don't really want to because things between us are not stable. He thinks its necessary in case I pass away. Do I really have to put him on the title?

Ms.Maricel

Asked by Ms.Maricel at 7:03 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• No. I don't have my husband's name on my car title.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:04 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I wouldnt do it if things are not stable.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 7:04 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Hell no. That's what wills are for and even if u don't have a will, the spouse get everything when u die.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 7:05 PM on May. 24, 2011

• nope i dont have my SO name on the title..its ur car..and if things are not stable then why should u have to put him on there....
    anayasmommy21

Answer by anayasmommy21 at 7:10 PM on May. 24, 2011

• i do not have my husband on my van title or my car title, and i am not on his pickup titles. for us it is more for insurance purposes.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 7:11 PM on May. 24, 2011

• no..my dh's name isn't on my title...even though he's the one paying for it now!! lol!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:14 PM on May. 24, 2011

• my car is only in my name. if you do put his name on it make sure it says "or" instead of "and" because i was told yrs ago that if it says "and" that both need to sign the title to sell it. if it says "or" then either one can without the other ones consent.
    dramaMama407

Answer by dramaMama407 at 7:19 PM on May. 24, 2011

• No. Keep it in your name for your best interest. You have to look out for # 1. That's you.
    mrsjon

Answer by mrsjon at 7:22 PM on May. 24, 2011

• No. He would get it anyway right?! I mean, I know that in the absence of a will stating otherwise, the surviving spouse usually ends up with property rights. Of course I am not sure if it would matter if you two split either if you are in a community property state.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:30 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Don't do it. If you were to separate and he takes the car there is nothing a police officer can do about it if his name is on the title. Also just a fun fact--if you're in a community property state he can take it even without his name on the title until you are legally divorced.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 7:39 PM on May. 24, 2011