How hot does it have to get for you to put the air conditioning on (if you have a toddler)?

I'm just curious because DH won't unless it's like 85-90 degrees outside, but I'm home most days with our 29-month-old DD, and I think it should be on when the mercury hits 80. Plus, we're in PA, and we have some pretty above-average humidity in the spring-summer. I'm just not sure what other moms and toddlers prefer. (I know this is a stupid argument, by the way, but he's driving me nuts with his complaining.)

SlightlyPerfect

Asked by SlightlyPerfect at 7:26 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you arent comfortable neither is she. Turn it on when you get hot.

Answer by gemgem at 7:27 PM on May. 24, 2011

• we live in what's called The Delta/NEArkansas..high humidity..we've run the AC since the temps have been in the late 60s/low70s.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:28 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Oh, Gem, if it was that easy, DH and I wouldn't be experiencing The Battle of the Thermostat 2011. I LOVE air conditioning, but he HATES it, so I want to try to find a "number" that can work as part of a peace treaty.
    SlightlyPerfect

Comment by SlightlyPerfect (original poster) at 7:29 PM on May. 24, 2011

• My husband is the same way. It has to be at least 90 before we put it on.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:32 PM on May. 24, 2011

• dullscissors - what kind of air conditioner do you have?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:32 PM on May. 24, 2011

• we keep our b/t 70-74. if the wind is blowing we dont have it on at all. when we start to get uncomfortable thats when it goes on
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 7:34 PM on May. 24, 2011

• We turn it on when we are hot in the house. Usually around 75 degrees, indoors. I would get an indoor thermostat, because the temp inside varies greatly depending on the actives indoors...baking and such.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:36 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I get uncomfortable with the heat pretty quickly BUT I cannot stand the noise the window air conditioners make so for me it's a lose lose situation.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:36 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I usually set it on 72 in the summer...when it gets hotter than 72 inside, it clicks on. A dehumidifier inside can help you feel more comfortable too if you are in a high humidity location. Actually, that is how a lot of central air units help bring down the temp.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:36 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I'm not set on a specific number - it's a comfort thing. If it's still cooler, but the humidity is crazy high and I can't handle it, I put it on. If it's hot but not humid, I can wait longer.
    Anonymous