Pin in puppy

Our 9 week old pupp got out and got hit this morning. Thank goodness he only hurt his back leg. We took him to the vet and he has to have a pin put in it. He is having the surgery tomoorow morning. His femur is cracked, but everything else is great. ( I know how lucky we are) In the rush of things, I forgot to ask, since he is only 9 weeks, will the pin have to be replaced since he will be growing? Or will is it just something that will have to be taken out, or what?

BabyBugsmama

Asked by BabyBugsmama at 7:43 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Pets

• No, surgical implants like that very rarely ever need replaced unless there is another injury or the animal's body rejects the implant. He is *very* young, the bone will mend it's self, the implant is to insure that it mends properly.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:58 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Could it be one of the pens that will stick out? They can take those out.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 7:46 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I'm not sure. It was all very rushed.... I know he is going to have a splint on, and will have to wear a cone... But I assumed the cone was so he wouldn't bite at his stitches... I would call and see, but I was the last person in there and they locked the doors behind me.
    BabyBugsmama

Comment by BabyBugsmama (original poster) at 7:49 PM on May. 24, 2011