Stupid dog question

I need help keeping a neighbors dog off my property aside from building a fence (which for our property is $9000 on up and is just not financially possible). We have a leash law that states that an owner has to have a dog leashed if it's off the owners land. So I know the owner is in violation of breaking that law. I need idea's on how to keep the dog off my yard though. He gets put out every night (rain or snow or warm)... and most night manages to come to our yard and tear threw our garbage dragging it all over the yard with pieces coming out everywhere, into our other neighbors yard.. and even after buying all new cans with lids (that manage to disappear because of the dog), and fencing in the area where the cans are held, we've still had no luck keeping the dog out. He's also not a nice dog and tried to bite me one night when I went to grab something from my car that I forgot. I've called animal control and they haven't helped. I've talked to the police and filed a report (but without having proof who the dog belongs to since several people on our street have the same or similar dogs, they can't press charges). Its to the point I can't even go outside at night to enjoy a fire outside with family, friends or my kids because of this stupid dog. Not to mentions the mess and damage to my lawn. It's really getting to be a joke. So any ideas?

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 7:52 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Pets

• A 22 with salt shot will also fix the problem- hurts like hell and won't kill the dog. Just sayin'
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:47 PM on May. 24, 2011

• My dad had that problem and bought some pepper mace. All it took was one spray and that dog never came NEAR his property again!
    Anonymous

• Photograph the dog ON the owners property. Photograph or video the dog being a little vandal. Take it to small claims, you'll win.

On a side note, if the dog is unfriendly or poses a threat, the MOMENT you see it dial 911 and report a vicious animal that attempted to attack and that you suspect is rabid. They have NO choice but to respond and deal with it, because at that point it is considered a physical threat.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:55 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Have you talked to the owner of the dog and expressed your frustration? If the dog has shown aggression towards you animal control should have been there that day to come and get it. Keep calling and keep pushing the issue of the leash law. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 7:55 PM on May. 24, 2011

• do u have a camra take pics of the dog in your yard or messing with the tras then u have proof. also talk to neighbors but if u can then write them a certifided letter ( make a copie for urself ) and state that the dog..yada yada....and also rips threw the tras that u have to clean up, ruins ur garden and such and state that if they dont do something about it u will file a complant or call the dog catcher ( i forget the name ) were they risk the chance of getting fined, also mention u almost got bit and if this happends u will sue. sounds to me like u need to be a jerk to get someweres. sorry u have to deal with this. i know its hard.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 7:57 PM on May. 24, 2011

• animal control thats the word lol.. i agree with all the above.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 7:58 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Drop a few cloves of garlic and hot pepper (the hotter the better) in a blender and puree them. Add some water and pour around the edge of the area you want protected. You can also use garlic and onion.Mix with a teaspoon tabasco, a tablespoon cayenne pepper, four teaspoons dried oregano and a quart of warm water in a large pail. Let it sit overnight then sprinkle the area to protect. Or you can try two cups rubbing alcohol and a teaspoon lemongrass and spray around the yard or on your trash cans. My neighbor sprays her garbage bags with Raid. Dogs usually leave hers alone.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:07 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Other than that report the dog as others have said vicious and possibly rabid. Or you can shoot it in self defense, but that might be too harsh.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:10 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Shoot it.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 1:53 PM on May. 25, 2011

• aheuszel: I'm not 100% sure which neighbor it is.. I have mailed letters to everyone on the street, restating the leash laws, posted pictures of the damage, and said that when the dog is caught legal actions will be taken for property damage, and that didn't help either.
    xxhazeldovexx

Comment by xxhazeldovexx (original poster) at 9:17 PM on May. 24, 2011