How to i handle my daughter (2yr old) touching herself?

She just started touching herself. I started potty training a while ago. i have been using the no pant or diaper on at home and asking if she needs to potty every 5 min. Is is going pretty good a few accidents here and there. Will a few days ago she started touching herself (vagina). I caught her putting playdough down there and her trail mix. It really freaked me out. I hope someone can please help me know how to handle this issue.

AmiliasMom

Asked by AmiliasMom at 8:02 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think that's a common phase kids go through. She probably has just discovered that area and is just curious because until recently, it has mostly been covered with a diaper. I would just keep making sure and telling her not to put objects in that area but its natural and normal for her to be curious.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 8:04 PM on May. 24, 2011

• She's two lol.. its a new body part so putting things in there is not uncommon. Girls will "play" with themselves and that is not a bad thing either. Not sure at her age if she will understand that you only "do that in private" tho.. Just don't freak out or make her feel bad about it. You can try to redirect her when she does it in any other room except her own. Also just keep reminding her not to put things like toys, food etc inside.. She will get bored with putting things inside her soon so don't worry to much about that, it will pass in time.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:07 PM on May. 24, 2011

• This is completely normal, she is exploring herself, she has just discovered it, some kids do the same thing with ears and noses, my 3.5 year old stuck a bead up her nostril at about 2.5. She doesnt see it as any different to any other part of her body, its adults that see it as a sexual organ. Just try to discourage her from putting things in any part of her body, just try to explain those things (toys, playdough etc) are only for hands.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 8:08 PM on May. 24, 2011

• mine did that a bit
    i just said "no, we do not put things in here, only tinkle comes out"
    but mine did not seem too curious about it
    your daughter seems pretty inventive-lol
    can you just say something like this and then distract to something more interesting?
    good luck, nothing to worry about too much
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:10 PM on May. 24, 2011

• it's all good, just tell her to do it in the bathtub when you know her hands are clean.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:13 PM on May. 24, 2011

• You poor thing you had a scare! Don't worry, "self exploration" is completely normal and not sexual at all. All she knows is "this feels good". Just teach her that she needs to do that in private, and not to put anything on her hoo-ha, or whatever you call it. As with any lesson you teach your daughter, patience and consistency is key. She'll realize after a few reminders that in her room or in the bathroom are okay, but in public is not. Best of luck to you.
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 8:21 PM on May. 24, 2011

• ok thank you ladies for the comments. It really freaked her dad out because he doesn't know how to handle it.
    AmiliasMom

Comment by AmiliasMom (original poster) at 8:23 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Tell him to handle it the same way he does when she puts something in her mouth she shouldn't LOL :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:27 PM on May. 24, 2011