Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

What can I do if I live in an apt & no a/c for over a month?

they've been in my apt 3 times in now say that they need to change the compressor. Which by the way they have to try and get. Why they just can't take one from an apt that's not occupied, I don't know. I'm irritated. It's cooler outside than in the apt. Even with fans running 24/7 it's not helping. For the most part the kids can run around in t-shirts and go to bed in them too. But is there anything that I can do,,,not just complain to the rental office?


Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Home & Garden

This question is closed.
Answers (21)
  • Use ice, lots of fans, open your windows at night to let cool air in, shut curtains during the day to help keep out light and heat. As for complaining just keep checking in with them. I don't think there is much else you can do.

    Answer by othermom at 9:30 AM on May. 25, 2011

  • Replacing a compressor is not as easy taking it out of another unit and putting it in yours. Where do you live that it is so hot already I may be a little jealous. Seriously though, is having air something that was stated in your lease? I would check that first. I am not sure if "air" is something they consider a necessity.  I don't know though.  Good luck to you and I hope you are able to get it fixed soon.


    Answer by Peajewel at 8:33 PM on May. 24, 2011

  • most apartment complex have a management company that is over them, sort of like a corporate office, find out who that is and contact them. If that doesn't get results contact one of the local news stations. They usual have someone who advocates for citizens. Good Luck

    Answer by Proverbs_31 at 9:14 PM on May. 24, 2011

  • If I were you id start getting a little more stern with your landlord. Id tell them that its unacceptable to not have something that is part of the rent. Let him know that he doesnt get it fixed you will withhold part of the rent until it is fixed.

    Answer by KristinRox at 8:17 PM on May. 24, 2011

  • @sassygoddess- ice packs and fans sounds like an electrical hazard and sorry, it doesn't fix her problem

    Answer by Proverbs_31 at 9:17 PM on May. 24, 2011

  • I would be demanding that your rent is reduced for the duration that it has been broken till it is fixed.

    Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:03 AM on May. 25, 2011

  • Ah no idea..

    Answer by sstepph at 11:06 AM on May. 25, 2011

  • Is there a renter's rights agency around?

    Answer by meooma at 8:13 PM on May. 24, 2011

  • idk??

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:17 PM on May. 24, 2011

  • @Peajewel Yes. Individually controlled a/c and heat is in the lease.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:38 PM on May. 24, 2011