What can I do if I live in an apt & no a/c for over a month?

they've been in my apt 3 times in now say that they need to change the compressor. Which by the way they have to try and get. Why they just can't take one from an apt that's not occupied, I don't know. I'm irritated. It's cooler outside than in the apt. Even with fans running 24/7 it's not helping. For the most part the kids can run around in t-shirts and go to bed in them too. But is there anything that I can do,,,not just complain to the rental office?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Use ice, lots of fans, open your windows at night to let cool air in, shut curtains during the day to help keep out light and heat. As for complaining just keep checking in with them. I don't think there is much else you can do.
    othermom

Answer by othermom at 9:30 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Replacing a compressor is not as easy taking it out of another unit and putting it in yours. Where do you live that it is so hot already I may be a little jealous. Seriously though, is having air something that was stated in your lease? I would check that first. I am not sure if "air" is something they consider a necessity.  I don't know though.  Good luck to you and I hope you are able to get it fixed soon.

Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:33 PM on May. 24, 2011

• most apartment complex have a management company that is over them, sort of like a corporate office, find out who that is and contact them. If that doesn't get results contact one of the local news stations. They usual have someone who advocates for citizens. Good Luck
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 9:14 PM on May. 24, 2011

• If I were you id start getting a little more stern with your landlord. Id tell them that its unacceptable to not have something that is part of the rent. Let him know that he doesnt get it fixed you will withhold part of the rent until it is fixed.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 8:17 PM on May. 24, 2011

• @sassygoddess- ice packs and fans sounds like an electrical hazard and sorry, it doesn't fix her problem
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 9:17 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I would be demanding that your rent is reduced for the duration that it has been broken till it is fixed.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:03 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Ah no idea..
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 11:06 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Is there a renter's rights agency around?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:13 PM on May. 24, 2011

• idk??
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:17 PM on May. 24, 2011

• @Peajewel Yes. Individually controlled a/c and heat is in the lease.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:38 PM on May. 24, 2011