Those Who Have Dealt With Cancer

Does the emotional uncertainty due to meds and stress and such get worse as they get sicker?

My husband is stage 4 liver/lung cancer(considered terminal) and it looks like chemo will be stopped except some chemo pill that is more for maintenance.

His emotions are so all over the place right now(one day happy and giddy, the next yelling at everyone over simple things)I was wondering if I was in for it getting worse.

Thx!

Amaranth361

Asked by Amaranth361 at 8:20 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Health

• I have went through it with my mom and my sister.To start off I'm really sorry for you and your family. I'm always here if you need to talk. It is possible it could get worse, not necessarily though. Every patient reacts to meds different though. I agree with the above talk to anyone who knows what you are going through or get in a support group. My prayers go out to you and your family.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 8:39 PM on May. 24, 2011

• If your husband is considered terminal, and I am so sorry, then I think you should look into hospice, if you haven't already. Those nurses were just great when my father in law was going through cancer. He passed away six years ago 6/2. My mother and mother in law have both been on chemo, and there are a lot of emotional ups and downs. Hospice will have support for you and your husband. They are free. You should be able to find your local hospice in the white pages, or call your doctor's office, they will know how to get them for you. God bless!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 8:40 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Hugs mama .. . I am so sorry.

My sister was diagnosed with cancer last winter . . . I don't know exactly what you are going through, but I do know what I have experienced as a family member.

Emotionally, it has really taken a toll on her. The diagnosis and all of those serious treatments are traumas. And, people are affected by those traumas for a really long time.

The American cancer Society should have some leads for support groups. I think support from other cancer patients has been the the most helpful thing for my sister's emotional health. As the cancer patient, you kind of feel like noone understands . . . how could they, really? But, when you are with other cancer patients, you know that they KNOW what you are going through. If he hasn't already gotten hooked up with ACS, it would be a really good time to do so. There are also community centers like The Wellness Center that deal exclusively in support.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:29 PM on May. 24, 2011

• As one who was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer the emotional roller coaster is tremendous. I ended up gaining about 50 pounds due to the stress.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:43 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I don't know but I'm really sorry to hear.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 8:22 PM on May. 24, 2011

• The pills send them on a roller coaster ride and sometimes they are up the steroids drive them crazy and somedays are better then others. ((((HUGS))) Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:23 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Im sorry (((((hugs)))))
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 8:26 PM on May. 24, 2011

• *Hugs* I am so sorry to hear that. As if the news itself is not devastating enough, you also have this emotional stressful mood swings. I agree you (and he) should reach out for all the support you can get.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:48 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Thanks ladies, I appreciate the kind words and support.

He is still doing fine so hospice isnt an option at this point. Although they consider him terminal(cuz he wont beat this)he could still make it a couple more years, etc so the end isnt that close(we hope).

I just was wondering if the emotional upheaval we are living in would get any worse cuz not only is he going through this but I am as well and are young sons arent quite sure what to make of the down times. Since Ive never had to deal with anything like this I wanted to ask...kind of get a heads up if you will.

Thank you again.
    Amaranth361

Comment by Amaranth361 (original poster) at 12:17 AM on May. 25, 2011