Can you give almond milk to a 6month old?

I breastfeed, and I also express, mostly breastfeed though, there sometimes, not a lot, but there are times when i need a back up, would it be okay to give almond milk? not the sweet ones...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• stick with formula,the baby needs the nutrients in it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:29 PM on May. 24, 2011

• The only reason I'd check with the pediatrician first is 1) nut allergy 2) I believe Soy has the best fat content and 3) under 1 year breast milk should only be supplemented with formula...Call your pediatrician first, I cannot stress this enough.
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 8:31 PM on May. 24, 2011

• You should avoid nuts and nut products until at least 1 year old. As a back-up, you can always get a can of powdered formula.

Good luck.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:32 PM on May. 24, 2011

• your baby can develop an allergy to nuts. i wouldn't do it.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 8:33 PM on May. 24, 2011

• You can. But SHOULD you, no. Breast milk, formula and some solids is all baby needs. The almond milk won't give baby the nutrients s/he needs. And there is no telling how baby will react digestively and because almonds are nuts, and you don't want take a chance on allergies.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:34 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Just buy a can of powdered formula.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:36 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Formula has way to many ingredients i don't agree with, and I won't give to my baby, I guess ill just keep expressing milk.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:45 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Go to whole foods and check out their formula section. They might have something that avoids the certain ingredients you are worried about.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:48 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Yeah..almond milk doesn't have enough fat in it or the right nutrients for the baby. I would talk to your doctor about your concern or try to boost your milk supply with fenugreek and/or adding an extra pumping session.
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 9:54 PM on May. 24, 2011

• goat milk would be a better alternative if you need to supplement on occasion.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 10:04 PM on May. 24, 2011