Witchy Women...

Does your alter go skyclad? or do you use an alter cloth?

I doing some reading where an alter cloth was listed as an essential for practice, and I have to say I highly disagree. I prefer not to use one and I've never bought in to the "you have to have THIS STUFF" attitude. And so a discussion was born...

But what about you?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:30 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• My altar is in my head so can look however I want/need it to. Very rarely does it have any kind of covering.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:02 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Mine can go either way because it's never in the same place.

I'm like you, I hate those "You have to have this to be a ______" lists.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:08 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Actually it all depends on the mood or the ritual/season etc...
    When casting I use a black cloth... I have a red one and a pretty floral
    printed one for Spring/May day ...
    And many times it goes skyclad... my Altar isn't ever in one place.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:24 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Right now my altar has a cloth under it with a triquatra. Its a pretty cloth I found when I was first buying stuff and I just love it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:15 AM on May. 25, 2011

• My Travel Altar has a cloth.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:49 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I prefer the altar cloth to protect the wood surface underneath from candle wax. I think the items on your altar should be selective. Just as some people prefer candles to crystals, some prefer bare wood to cloth.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:19 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I only really use one to A) cover the draws below the top (my altar was a bedside table), and B) make the old beat up wood seem prettier lol. Well, it also keeps candle wax and stuff off the table. I've read in nearly every Craft book I have or have borrowed that it's "essential," but I disagree as well. There have been many, many times that I haven't had one and I generally only keep a cloth on my "permanent" altar, but I don't use one on my "working" altar. I use the permanent one mostly as a meditation center and it's where I do the few rituals that I feel a need for every now and then. My "working" altar is usually another table that comes apart into three pieces, but there are times when I can't get to it so I just use whatever surface is sturdy, flat and convenient. I rarely keep things very formal lol.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:32 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I use one...although its actualy a scarf that I have had for years that I never used lol. I dont go by the list of "must haves" for your altar. Pluss most of the stuff that I do have I made myself. For example my penticle is made from a branch that we had to cut off the tree before it grew into our window...DH cut it up and made some runes for arround the house and I used a pice to make my penticle and then used another one for my incense burner. My wand is also made out of that branch. There are some things that I would like to get but at the same time I like what I have now...its nothing fancy at all but I love how natural it all looks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on May. 31, 2011