How to transition formula to milk?

My son just turned a year old on Friday. I am really unsure how to go about the transition from formula to milk. Do I just cut it cold turkey? Or do I give him a few bottles with milk and a few with formula? I thought about starting tomorrow, giving him one with formula when he first wakes up and then one at night and use milk through out the day. Keep in mind, it has to be in a bottle because he does not know how to use a sippy cup, all he does is chew on it. I have every sippy under the sun. Even the Nuby transition bottle/sippy cup. Please help me... I am a first time confused mom... Thank you!

LittleCsMommy

Asked by LittleCsMommy at 8:31 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Start with a 25%ratio milk to formula and daily add more milk in

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:33 PM on May. 24, 2011

• The main thing with transitioning to milk is whether they like the taste, thats why many people mix milk and formula. My daughters Dr suggested we try her with straight milk first of and then if she didnt like it to mix it with the formula and slowly phase the formula out. She was fine with the milk so we just went straight onto it, no problems. Good Luck!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 8:37 PM on May. 24, 2011

• He likes the taste of milk...
    LittleCsMommy

Comment by LittleCsMommy (original poster) at 9:47 PM on May. 24, 2011

• i replaced 1 ounce of formula with 1 ounce of milk for 2 days. then replaced another ounce of formula with milk for 2 more days. so it took a couple of weeks but it is what worked best for us.
    Anonymous

• whoops, that was not supposed to be anon.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 10:03 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I was at the end of our formula can so I just cold turkey it. He never seemed to know the difference and loves milk!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 12:32 PM on May. 25, 2011

• This is a very good question, what I did was let the formula run out and then use milk, but I will tell you my son didn't drink the milk sometimes, so alway have a can of formula just in case.
    MsVanqueOsg

Answer by MsVanqueOsg at 1:05 PM on May. 25, 2011

• With my son we kept him on breastmilk and formula past the 12 month mark and just started to introduce whole milk in small amounts with meals... he got some in his sippy cup. Over time we increased the amount of milk he took and decreased his other milk. He was on all whole milk by 15 months.
    We kept him on longer because he wasn't a great eater at 12 months... he didn't eat well from all food groups and I wanted to make sure he was getting everything he needed... whole milk doesn't have that.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:51 PM on May. 25, 2011

• what i did with my daughter is took some of her formula and mixed it with the whole milk and she drank it right up, then gradually take the formula out of the equation, it may seem hard to do at first but they get used to the idea.
    crazy420186

Answer by crazy420186 at 1:35 PM on May. 26, 2011