What is so wrong with a girl being a girl and a boy being a boy??

WHY would someone USE their child for some crazy sicial exoeriment!! Do you think this is ok?? When I fiirst read the headline I thought maybe this was one of those children born with both parts and they were going to wait to do surgery when the child identified which way. For that I was thinking....maybe....but to just do this to your child, screw with their head for your own little expermient is a LITLE sick....yes/no?

A Toronto couple raising their 4-month-old without identifying the child as a boy or a girl have created a media firestorm in Canada, where some have likened the scenario to a "bizarre lab experiment" that seeks to undo thousands of years of social evolution.

Kathy Witterick, 38, and David Stocker, 39, are raising their third child, Storm, to be free of societal norms regarding gender. Is Storm male or female? The parents won't say, so no one knows except Storm's older brothers, Jazz and Kio, as well as a close family friend and two midwives who helped deliver the baby, according to the Toronto Star.

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 9:01 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 9:02 PM on May. 24, 2011

• ugh this whole story is drama I feel liek the parents are just doing it for attention....
    BiTcHy_MaMa

Answer by BiTcHy_MaMa at 9:02 PM on May. 24, 2011

• strange, esp seeing the other children were not raised that way. I dont kno how long they will be able to carry on with this lifestyle. Sounds like attention seeking to me.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:04 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I think regardless of how a child is raised, when they are in social situations they will gravitate towards people who are like them. Girls who like to play rough gravitate towards other children who like to play rough. Boys who are quiet will gravitate towards less intense people and situations. It is inevitable that eventually the child will develop his or her own sense of style and want their clothing to reflect their preferences. Also, puberty will kick in.

It is noble to try to free a person from the bonds of socially imposed gender roles, but it is foolish to think that gender does not play a large part in our identity as a person. I think it is unfair to this baby to deny them a socially defined gender specification. To me it is like saying "you cannot play with boys because you might like boy things if you are a boy- you should be above that." Kids aim to please their peers, is this kid never going to be able
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:07 PM on May. 24, 2011

• They are kooks.
    I like the idea of girls being girls and boy being boys. It is normal. I have always loved being female. If my parents wouldn't tell people that I was a girl and I found out later when I was old enough to understand what they did...I would be SO pissed off!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:08 PM on May. 24, 2011

• cont. to identify him or herself because the parents don't want him/her to? Seems a little selfish to me.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:08 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Wasn't there a couple in Europe doing the same thing a year or so ago? Or it was a boy they were raising as a girl. Can't remember the details, but I remember reading about it.

Found an article, it was from 2009 and they lived in Sweden. They had kept the gender a mystery still when the article was written and the child "Pop" was 2 1/2 at that time.

http://www.thelocal.se/20232/20090623/

DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 9:10 PM on May. 24, 2011

• When they go to the bathroom in public do they go in the Men's or Women's?
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:10 PM on May. 24, 2011

• this happened a couple years ago. they will raise their kids how they wish. Our opinions are just that...opinions. who cartes how they raise their kid. I say as long as there is not abuse going on its fine
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 9:10 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Abusy....that seems to be part of the question in the article by some people. IS this a form of abuse? messing with a developing mind and all.....
    momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 9:19 PM on May. 24, 2011