Ok, weird breastfeeding question...

This is really weird and hard to explain, but you know the fizzing sound when you take a drink of soda? And the feeling? Well, when my son latches on and starts eating, I hear that same fizzing sound in the back of my neck, and it like shoots down from the base of my skull, to down like above my shoulder blades, I would say. And I can feel it too. Like there's literally a straw running inside by body and when he drinks, it comes down the back of my neck....weird huh? Just wondering if I'm the only person in the world that experiences this...and if not, what the hell is it??!!

summermail88

Asked by summermail88 at 9:03 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That definitely sounds bizzarre! Ha ha. But I wouldn't worry, as long as it's not painful or anything. I'm almost 100% certain there is not actually a straw in there and he's sucking your brains out through your boobs! ha ha. But no, seriously, it's probably a mix up in the nerves that is giving you the signals of a sound and sensation that's different to what's actually happening. Like I sneeze when I pluck my eyebrows. The nerves just get the signals mixed up in there.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:15 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I'm thinking along the same lines as Olivia.. Hormones are released while breastfeeding, maybe you can "feel" them running through your body.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:24 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I have breastfed 3 little ones and never experienced that. I am at a loss. It would not be your milk because all of that would be contained within your chest region for the most part.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:11 PM on May. 24, 2011

• could it be psychosomatic?
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:15 PM on May. 24, 2011

• From your skull, down the neck...i was going to say "let-down" sensation, but I've only experienced that in the chest area. Ask your obgyn, get it checked out (if you have time and energy). It's better to be safe than sorry.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 9:15 PM on May. 24, 2011

• That's the only thing I could think of too, is maybe I'm "aware" of my hormones being released lol. it is really weird though
    summermail88

Comment by summermail88 (original poster) at 9:28 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I think it is in your mind... like the best way your brain wraps itself around what is happening and translates it to you... I would try to visualize something different and see if that helps you stop feeling like you've got a straw to your head... it truly is coming from the breast area. GL
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 10:05 PM on May. 24, 2011