Question for moms who work and have a child in half day preschool/kindergarten

How do you get your child to and from when you are working? Like if they go to preschool in the mornings, and then to daycare in the afternoon, how do they get transported while you are working?

My oldest son (4) will be starting AM preschool this fall, and will be in AM Kindergarten next fall. If I decide to put my youngest son (19 months now) in AM preschool next fall, I will most likely find a job. However, it will be very hard to find a job that will allow me to be available to pick up the boys from school and take them to daycare in the middle of the day (if I'm working full-time). And on the other hand, it will be very difficult to find a part-time job that allows me to be available those hours. So I am trying to figure out how I'd make this work...

Hope this makes sense...

MichaelsMom330

Asked by MichaelsMom330 at 9:04 PM on May. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• yes, makes sense and this is why i have my own business so I have the flexibilty to be available for the boys. If you are interested in a home business, message me
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 9:11 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Depends on what type of job you have, I can think of lots of part time jobs that are willing to work around your schedule but they usually don't pay that well (grocery stores, breakfast restaurants, etc.).
    My mom picked up my daughter when she was in 1/2 days when I was working, and the days she couldn't do it I had to pay a sitter.

Answer by missanc at 9:19 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I have a daycare provider that picks my daughter up from school and even drops her off on days I work earlier.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 9:54 PM on May. 24, 2011

• A lot of daycare centers offer transportation from school to their facility, my children aren't in daycare but one of my kids is in AM preschool and the bus company offers to transport her from school to a stop near my cousin and his fiancee since they are home when DD gets out of school while I'm usually in meetings or signing paperwork until 1:30...I own my own business but prefer to get as much done during the week so I have afternoon, nights and weekends with my family.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 11:52 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I am a WAHM and my youngest goes to 4K in the am at one of the other grade schools in town (not our neighborhood school since he has an IEP and needed a 'supported' classroom). He takes the bus to/from school. My older kids are in middle and HS, and I take them to school and hubs picks them up on his way home.
    Some daycares (like the one I live near) have vans and they do provide transportation for school age children.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:04 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Is your child going to preschool or pre-K. Thats what it called here. We have head start, pre-kindergraden,and so on with all the elementry kids,there all together.They have an after school program,for the kids,were the get supper & you pick them up at 5:30 or 6. but,im not to sure if that for the head start kids too.If your child is 4 he would be in Pre-K,and i know they do have this program for them & the kids on up in the other grades.So,maybe you could ask them if there is any thing like this were you live.And,if your going with a pre school thats not like this ,they should still provide transportion for your kid and have them dropped off any where you tell them too!!Hope you figure something out,best of luck.

jewels242

Answer by jewels242 at 6:48 AM on May. 26, 2011