DD having trouble getting up in the mornings for school?

She is 5 and only goes to VPK but has to be up by 6:30 to leave by 7...She goes to bed at 9 I know that;s enough sleep for er and even when she gets more she is hell to wake up..shes even missed school because she wont get up and get dressed...any ideas on breaking her o this before kindergarten?

happymama02

Asked by happymama02 at 9:36 PM on May. 24, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would start the process earlier and give her more of a cushion for getting ready. Then keep to a routine when you wake up.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:41 PM on May. 24, 2011

• If she's having difficulties getting up in the morning she is NOT getting enough sleep at night. It is recommended that children her age go to bed NO LATER than 8pm.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:02 PM on May. 24, 2011

• She isn't getting enough sleep. My 14 year old daugher has to go to be at 9:00 to get up at 6:30.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:08 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I agree that she needs to get to bed earlier. I have the same issue if my kids aren't getting enough sleep. They always look forward to sleeping in on the weekends, but come Monday, it's rough!
    techgirl3

Answer by techgirl3 at 10:10 PM on May. 24, 2011

• 9 bed time and up at 6:30 is 9 1/2 hrs. of sleep...she used to go to bed at 8 but it was a battle and she wouldnt fall asleep till maybe 8:30 and still have a hard time getting up in the morning...I think I'll do what the 1st. post said and get her up earlier so she will have more time to wake up...I kow i was never and still am not a morning person...and then I'll put her to bed earlier as well.
    happymama02

Comment by happymama02 (original poster) at 11:04 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Here is what I do: Home by 530, Homework and playtime, then bath at 7, movie/tv time after bath, snacks around 745 and bed at 815-830. Mine are up by 7, fed then dressed and out the door by 725.

I told my oldest that if she is late, then I have to check her in the office, she has to walk in her class late, by herself. Then that night, she has to tell her Daddy what happended then whatever is taken away.

You can put an alarm clock in her room too, or set the timer on her TV to wake up earlier. But, I am normally up and ready so I can get them up and going. Good luck!!
    ShelbysHope76

Answer by ShelbysHope76 at 5:51 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Maybe you could problem-solve with her? See what solutions she comes up with, what she thinks about the situation, etc.

This was my approach in a similar situation with my daughter.

My goal was to support & foster her self-responsibility so that this (telling her to get to bed, deciding when it's "time for bed," being responsible for waking her up, etc.) was not all coming from my end. To empower her rather than controlling.

We did end up buying an alarm clock for her room. She liked the idea of one that glows (and is pink, lol) and instead of an alarm, it begins flashing a beam of light (if it goes on long enough, a little bell starts ringing.) When she has enough sleep & is adequately rested, she will wake up while the light is flashing (without needing the audible alarm.) Anyway, she doesn't routinely use the alarm function but she has the clock near her bed (and she will choose to set her alarm in certain situations.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:15 AM on May. 27, 2011

• In my previous reply I didn't mean to suggest that the alarm clock (or even the type of clock, lol) was the key focus or element in changing the situation. My daughter liked the idea of that particular kind of clock, not having an abrupt or obnoxious "wake up call" appealed to her so when I described how that Moonbeam clock worked, she wanted to try it. But the clock was simply one problem-solving response/idea that emerged from an overall attitude & approach to the situation, which was a decision to take her seriously & build her personal responsibility.
    I believe children should be responsible for certain areas of their lives (their senses, their feelings, their needs.) It's not about them "making all the decisions" or "doing what they want;" it's about taking them seriously & recognizing/guarding their rights (not assuming their personal resp. for them), & giving them a model of how to assume resp., then letting it happen.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:18 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Try an alarm clock
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:06 AM on Jun. 10, 2011