Is there a way to find out if adoption actully went through?

the reason I ask is a long story, but I found out somethings my mom has lied to me about my bio dad since I was youn I am 29 now and just found out that my bio dad did pay child suport and stuff, but my mom told me he never did I found out the truth through my moms brother. Anyway, my moms dad adopted me suposeably when I was younger, but one time when I was trying to apply for food stamps and told them my madin name they told me it had a diffrent name in the computer which was my bio dads last name. I also had a hardtime changing my last name when I got married on my social secuirty card it said all names used I put every one, but my bio dads name they sent it back 3 times before I put his name and it finally went through. My bio dad said it may have never been fully processed (the adoption) because he said he didn't get a income tax check until he was about 34 or 35 and he is 45 now I think. So just wondering if there is a way to go about seeing if it was fully processed or not and if so how and how much would it cost? I mean I hate to pay for something I am never going to use though so is there a way I can check for free?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Adoption

• Check with the courts, all adoptions go through court.
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 10:10 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Won't your mother or grandfather (dad) come clean and tell you the truth?
    I would think if your real dad paid child support, and your finding his surname attached to your records that you were not legally adopted.
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 4:34 AM on May. 25, 2011

• no my grandma wont tell me anything she hates, hates, hates my real dad when I had a problem getting my new social security card I asked my grandma and she said it was always my moms last name always has been, but oviously not. My mom she said it was her last name too, but she also tells me he never ever paid child suport while I just found out from my uncle (her brother) that he did. So now what do I believe about the whole adotion thing? I didn't find out until I was 11 I was adopted by my step dad.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:03 AM on May. 25, 2011

• When an adoption is finalized, a new, amended, birth certificate is issued and the original is sealed. Order a copy of your BC and see what names are on it. If it's your birth fathers then you were never adopted.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:04 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Can't believe at 29yrs old, your family is lying to you. So they want you to believe you were adopted twice- once by your grandfather, and again by your step dad. I'd do like OTT suggested above with ordering your bcert. Then I'd research what court could have finalized your adoption(s) and see if they won't at least confirm you were adopted.
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 1:26 PM on May. 25, 2011

• The following documents are usually part of your court file, depending on the circumstances of your adoption:

Original birth certificate
    Petition to adopt
    Final decree of adoption
    Your adoptive parents homestudy
    various reports from the agency or lawyer such as intial interview with birthparent(s), their medical history, biographical informatio
    signed relinquishment (sometimes called consent form)
    These documents and the information contained within them, along with your hospital records and 'non-identifying' information available to most adoptees, will form the cornerstone of your search. If you do not know from your initial inquiries what court your adoption was finalized in, the best place to start is in the county where your adoptive parents were residing during your adoption. Contact the Family Court in that county and ask them if they can verify for you if your adoption file resides in their court.
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 1:32 PM on May. 25, 2011

• In my state your grandfather could not have adopted you unless your grandmother adopted you as well. They don't allow one half of a married couple to adopt without the other. Your mother and your biofather would have had to either give up their rights or had them terminated by the courts. I would suspect that your grandfather pretended he adopted you to put you down as his daughter on his insurance to get you coverage. And if you didn't go to court when you were 11, then your step-father didn't offically adopt you either. They might not have even known that they should go to court and just declared you adopted within the family. My four year old had to go to court when she was adopted by my second husband. They always want to see the kids in court. Plus almost every state seals the orginal when someone is adopted. Call vital records and ask what last name and is it amended or not.
    Anonymous

• I never said anything about my grandfather adopting me. Sorry I ment to say my moms husband adopted me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:37 PM on May. 27, 2011