Please Help Me!!! My daughter announced she's bisexual...

I was looking at my 14 year old daughter's Facebook and on it she says:

I'm bisexual and if you don't like it, don't bother. I am who I am and that's how God made me. ♥

I almost threw up. I do NOT have anything against people who are gay or bisexual. I try not to judge. Please understand though because it's freaking hard for me. I was raised Catholic and while I do NOT participate in that church, it's hard to break away from some of that upbringing. I asked my daughter about it and she did the hand-in-my-face thing and walked out of the room.

What do I do? Anything? Nothing? What do I say? Please no bashing. I have never told her anything negative about being gay or bisexual but she knows that in the bible it does state that it is wrong. How to proceed?

emmyandlisa

Asked by emmyandlisa at 9:45 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• Do nothing but love her like you have..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:48 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Why not accept it for now and let her be who she is without judgement? Try to take a deep breath and realize you have raised a girl who has the guts to put that on her profile and feel comfortable in who she is.... GL momma.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 9:48 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I think at 14 she is not really "bisexual" or "heterosexual" or "homosexual": she's still exploring sexuality and is experimenting with an idea by identifying with this way of being. Don't take it too seriously or too much to heart, but certainly don't condemn it. If she does grow into that way of being, well, that's okay. Accept it. But I wouldn't be jumping to conclusions just yet.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:56 PM on May. 24, 2011

• oh momma. . . she is your daughter, just love her and except her for who she is. . . and if that is who she is, get to know that girl, love that daughter. . . GL
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 9:50 PM on May. 24, 2011

• You have to accept it. Things may change... she is young, maybe just curious. Just sit down and talk with her. Be open with her, let her talk to you, be there for her.
    LittleCsMommy

Answer by LittleCsMommy at 9:49 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Leave it be for now. Don't do something that will totally upset her & push away from you more. She is at an age where anything goes really, experimenting, doesn't know herself yet, maybe it's a "cool" thing to like girls also at the moment. As hard as it is just tell her you are there for her if she needs to talk, be supportive, it doesn't mean she will be BI always or it may...she is still a kid figuring stuff out just roll with it & be there for her as hard as it is.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 10:01 PM on May. 24, 2011

• First of all being gay is not a choice!!!!!!! I have chosen to be attracted to both sex as much as any straight person chose to be attracted to the opposite sex!! And with that being said. Do not reject her! That is the most important thing. And if she does not want to get into church stuff do not make her, please for the love of your child do not do it. Just support her.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 12:29 AM on May. 25, 2011

• oooo....hand in the face? That deserves punishment in my house! That is completely disrespectful! my child would be punished with no rights if she did that to me...we don't tolerate that kind of disrespect in my home.

She would be grounded until she came & talked about it with me. i would not care though. i personally bet ya she is doing it for attention....it's most likely a phase.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:44 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I'm sure it took a lot for her to post that - she's very brave for doing so.

Be there for her, love her and don't treat her any differently.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 9:54 PM on May. 24, 2011

• If she is putting her hand in your face and walking away over something so major, it sounds like you dont have open communication lines between the both of you? Do you only talk about sex etc with your daughter or is it not discussed? I think you need to try to open to communication if its not open already and listen to her, I understand its a hard pill for you to swallow like for many parents who are religious or have religious views about this topic, however she is your daughter and your love should be unconditional, you can still do this with her understanding you do not agree with her choice but that you love her no matter what.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:57 PM on May. 24, 2011