What do you think??

We go to my husband parents church on Sunday mornings. The issue that I have and am not sure if it should be an issue is that you are not a memeber of the church until you are baptised and when you are baptised you are then ask to attend a meeting which indigates the conditions of your membership such as what you are expected to do and not to do. I'm not sure that I belive you should have to be baptised inorder to be a memeber and then be expected to pay a certain perentage of your paycheck to the church. I think you should only be able to give what you can afford!! Am I wrong?? I have been hesitant about going back because of this issue

determind

Asked by determind at 3:45 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you dont agree with the membership terms then dont become a member. My mom and I are members of Evangelical Free Church and had to be baptised and what not. They never made my mom donate so much of her check or anything like that though. It took her a few churches to find her "church home". So just keep looking.

Answer by gemgem at 3:48 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Hmmm, Ive never been to a church that ordered you to give X amount of your check. I think it's recommended to give the tenth, but definately not required. Unless you've already been baptised elsewhere, most churches require you to be baptised before you can be considered a member...that's just how it is. I really don't see anything wrong with that because if you are a Christian then you should WANT to be obedient and be baptised. That's just my thoughts on it.

What denomination is that?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:49 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• We go to a Lutheran church,I was born/baptised into a Catholic family. My DH and son are baptised Lutheran. We made the choice to become members and all we had to do is fill out a basic form (name,addres,phone#,marriage date,...) I do not need to be re baptised and our Pastor looks at tithing as giving of your time as well as your money. No mention is made of how much you give or dont give.I agree if she don't like the terms dont join,Robin
    ilovecoffee95

Answer by ilovecoffee95 at 3:57 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• we pay our tenth as a commandment and we have been blessed ten folds by doing so. also if we are hurting our church helps us out but it would not help out members that are not full tithe payers. otherwise we would be getting abused and the funds for those that are righteous would run out. i don't have a problem paying that tithe. it's not an order by the church but by god. so i do it freely. most churches can't consider you a member unless you are baptized. also i think there are standards by which you should live by and it's required by god not just the church. the church just helps you to do more so and that is why they want to help you understand why they are being asked of you to behave in a certain standard.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• of course you have free will and i'm sure that they know that but they are trying to make you be stronger. if you don't agree why hold off until you fully understand something and feel in your heart that it's what god wants you do. he wants you to do of your free will not cause you feel forced into it. personally i don't think they are asking to much. i just think your not seeing this in the right point of you. pray about it and just ask questions about every issue and be opened minded. you don't have to join just yet.
    melody77

• if ever
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:19 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• my parents use to get envelopes with a letter of how much of thier income should go in the envelop. Oh did it tick my mom off! She would give money but not what they asked and would never put it in the envelop. This was a Catholic church and we were in catholic school so they were already getting big bucks from her in the form of tuition.
    If I were you and didn't like the conditions of the church your joining don't join.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 6:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• That sounds awfully controlling to me. Church is supposed to be like your extended family and support system. But it shouldn't be dictating EVERYTHING, especially the x amount of dollars you're expected to pay. Wow! It worries me when churches are THAT money hungry. But above everything else, if you're not happy, find a new place to call home.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 10:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Baptism is an outward declaration of salvation and a lot of churches ask that you be baptized as a profession of faith. Baptism is something you only have to do once though. I don't know why anyone would not want to be baptized. But as far as the tithes go, I don't think that I would want to be a part of a church that tells you what to give. Everything we have, we owe to God and God trusts us to be good stewards, but I feel like I give what I can to the church and I also try to give to people that may need help. I think as long as your money is going to good causes to better mankind and spread the gospel, it shouldn't be dictated how you give. I would keep searching for a better church if I were you.
    WiseMom1970

Answer by WiseMom1970 at 11:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Baptism is the next step of obedience after one has trusted Christ as Savior. (Salvation) Baptism is yes as wisemom1970 stated an outward expression of what has happened on the inside...Symbolic of what Christ did...His death, burial and resurrection. And once someone is baptized it does make him/her a member of the local body of believers. And as wisemom1970 stated done once..because Christ did die once for all to pay a sin debt that mankind owed. Not all churched has new membership classes. We don't. However, it is a good thing to take to see what you believe and why. It is growth...Some trust and Lord get baptized and forgotten!! And never grow and get out of church later all together. If you check that is what they have to be doing is Discipleship Classes.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 3:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2008