Was I wrong?

I baby sit for several children (1 african american family w/a daughter) today during the rain (it wasn't a storm, it was just raining) the kids wanted to play outside, so I took them all out to play in the rain. When the african american child's mother came to pick her up she was pissed that I let her daughter get her hair wet and was complaining about the money it will cost to fix it.

Was I wrong? Should I have known not to do this? Should i apologize?

I do feel bad to have caused her excess work or money, but I never thought that a little rain would be a big deal. 

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on May. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• I wouldnt let any children I was sitting play in the rain first off, but thats just me. Secondly I can completely understand this mothers frustration because it takes alot of time and money to do AA childrens hair, if she did it herself it probably took her hours and if she had it done in a salon it would have cosrt alot and the point of getting it done in a salon is so it lasts 2 to 3 weeks often. I can understand both sides that you probably would not have realized this or that you were doing anything that could cause problems for the Mother of the child but I also see her point of view as well.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 10:10 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I would apologize, explain that you did not understand the effects rain has on her hair and just assure her it won't happen again.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:07 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Yes apologize & explain that you simply didnt know. Ask her if there is anything else about her daughters hair you should know for future reference & follow through on the instructions. I wouldnt have known either so dont sweat it.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 10:09 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Yeah, I would have thought taking them out in the rain would be okay, as long as they didn't get cold, so I think it was a reasonable mistake, but yes you should apologise anyway, just to be nice.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:08 PM on May. 24, 2011

• You didn't do anything wrong, ya didn't know, simply say sorry & now ya know to never let that happen again.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 10:10 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Yes, say you are sorry.
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 10:13 PM on May. 24, 2011

• And how exactly were you suposed to know???? I think if she was realy that worried, she would have told you to make sure she dosnt get her hair wet, given you a rain jacket, or something.
    Playing in the rain wont hurt anyone, so to those that are so opposed to kids playing in the rain, let kids be kids and have some fun.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 10:54 PM on May. 24, 2011