Is there a way to find out if adoption actully went through?

the reason I ask is a long story, but I found out somethings my mom has lied to me about my bio dad since I was youn I am 29 now and just found out that my bio dad did pay child suport and stuff, but my mom told me he never did I found out the truth through my moms brother. Anyway, my moms dad adopted me suposeably when I was younger, but one time when I was trying to apply for food stamps and told them my madin name they told me it had a diffrent name in the computer which was my bio dads last name. I also had a hardtime changing my last name when I got married on my social secuirty card it said all names used I put every one, but my bio dads name they sent it back 3 times before I put his name and it finally went through. My bio dad said it may have never been fully processed (the adoption) because he said he didn't get a income tax check until he was about 34 or 35 and he is 45 now I think. So just wondering if there is a way to go about seeing if it was fully processed or not and if so how and how much would it cost? I mean I hate to pay for something I am never going to use though so is there a way I can check for free?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Adoption

• id talk to a lawyer. consultations can be free. paperwork may need to be filed to find out. good luck!
    mykidsmom86

Answer by mykidsmom86 at 10:10 PM on May. 24, 2011

• If you can find out what court the adoption went thru you should be able to get that information for free since adoptions go thru the courts and the courts are public.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 10:12 PM on May. 24, 2011

• suposably after the adoption all the ariginal stuff was supose to be destroyed.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:14 PM on May. 24, 2011

• courts have to keep those records. your moms paperwork may be "gone" but there has to be a record of the adoption!
    mykidsmom86

Answer by mykidsmom86 at 10:15 PM on May. 24, 2011