What r the signs of autism in a 1year old?

Littlemomma174

Asked by Littlemomma174 at 10:20 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Health

• autism** Its hard to tell in a one year old. I would have your child play around other children or take him to a doctor::)
    Augusta

Answer by Augusta at 10:23 PM on May. 24, 2011

• If you suspect autism please see the doctor
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 10:59 PM on May. 24, 2011

• *sigh*

You CAN tell some of the signs of autism in a 1 year old. While there are not any 'absolute indicators' there are some red flags that need to be checked out. Your doctor SHOULD be doing screenings. Mine did the screenings starting at 9 months.

Some signs for THAT age are:

No big smiles or other warm, joyful expressions by six months or thereafter

No back-and-forth sharing of sounds, smiles, or other facial expressions by nine months or thereafter

No babbling by 12 months

No back-and-forth gestures, such as pointing, showing, reaching, or waving by 12 months

If your child has any of these symptoms, please get them evaluated.  It is NOT saying your child is on the spectrum, but it could be possible. 

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:10 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Thanks the last answer helped but I'm son smiles and points and everything
    Littlemomma174

Comment by Littlemomma174 (original poster) at 10:48 PM on May. 26, 2011

• What concerns you about your son? My son smiled, but he didn't point at that age. It can vary. Does your pediatrician do screenings? If you are still concerned, keep up with the symptoms and make sure he is reaching the milestones.

http://www.autismspeaks.org/ has a lot of good information if you feel the need to continue looking. 

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:07 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I don't know my cousins lil boy is and there's alot of the same signs but casen which is my son is way ahead of him at this point and he reaches all his milestones but he sticks his toungne out and shakes his head alot
    Littlemomma174

Comment by Littlemomma174 (original poster) at 8:28 PM on May. 27, 2011