OMG...I just found out there's a registered sex offender living less than a block from my kids' school.

I know he's lived there for a while, but I had no idea he was a sex offender. I knew he'd been in trouble for indecent exposure and the like. But last time I checked a registry he wasn't on there. We're a small community (less than 1000 residents) and our school is tiny (60-some kids in K-8). Do I mention it to the principal, who also goes to our church? Do I leave it be? And actually, he lives right between our school and the other school in town - they're less than 2 blocks apart. Makes me wonder if anyone realizes it - because I thought sex offenders couldn't live within a certain distance of schools?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on May. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• First, you need to know the exact charges, not just that he is a registered sex offender. The offense may not be against a child. Also, if he lived in that house before the charges and having to be registered he CAN live that close to a school. There are 25 registered sex offenders within 5 blocks of my house. There are 2 within 4 blocks of my parents...one is less than 2 blocks from a school. That man did his time and has not reoffended in over 15 years. I am sure the principal knows that the man lives where he does, schools are notified. There are offenders everywhere and over 75% of kids that are assaulted are done so by a relative or family friend, NOT strangers.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:39 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Oh, and I don't see a problem with letting the principle know. If I were the principle I'ld probably have his picture up by the office with words saying, "Stay Away From This Person!"
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 10:44 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I agree with tyfry,,,and ladies don't be so quick to judge. You don't know what's happened in these peoples lifes if they really are sex offenders,if they were wrongfully accused... I know theirs more than enough of these aweful people in our world and it can be a worry specially cause these are your kids,but you just never know.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 11:13 PM on May. 24, 2011

• They are not suppose to be that close to a school. I would mention it to someone.
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 10:30 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Call your local sheriff or police. They are not supposed to be that close. I probably would bring this to the princlpal's attention.
    dkvhensley

Answer by dkvhensley at 10:35 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Sex offenders are like weeds, they are everywhere! I would let the principal know for sure, he shouldn't be so close to a school.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 10:50 PM on May. 24, 2011

• He is Texas it is up to the city to decide where they can live and how close to the school's or daycares. I was told by an attorney that it also depends on the charges and the probation officer and often the city to determine the guidelines. Not everyone on the lists are gulity and not every one who is guilty is a risk for your children. I know a guy on the list for peeing outside his house. His pluming was out and he was drunk and couldn't wait. It is often easy to jump without all the facts.  I would just use caution.

sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 5:26 AM on May. 25, 2011

• While I think that the registered Sex offender site does more good than harm, I do agree that there a a few cases that are not what they seem.

If two teens 16 & 19 have sex and the 16 yr olds parent press charges and the 19 yr old is found guilty. Guess who is a convicted Sex offender for life "Cardinal Knowledge of a Minor". Or how about the teen that goes to a club and leaves with a 22 yr old to expand the age gap...same thing. The men are labeled for life.

So using caution is always advised. I worry less about the registered sex offenders around my neighborhood, and more about the creepy parents that have yet to be exposed!
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 8:50 AM on May. 25, 2011

• ALWAYS CHECK... our realtor explained she doesn't look because than she is legally bound to tell the potential buy, but she advises client to LOOK!!! Megan's Law has been awesome
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:27 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I would mention it to the principal, maybe ask if he knew. He might be within the distance requirements. The important thing is to make sure your kids know not to go over there or near him/his house. But where I live there are several places with sex offenders down the road, as long as you are smart and keep your kids aware it shouldn't be a problem.
    Cherrycatt

Answer by Cherrycatt at 10:30 PM on May. 24, 2011